Quiz

Picture of Syazalina Syazni
Adding question

Can anybody help me how to add OSCE question in moodle 2.2?

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Adding question
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

What are "OSCE question"s?

Picture of shiva k

Hi all. OSCE stands for 'objectively structured clinical examination'. I am also trying to find a solution for this. If some one can help, it would be great. 

The stucture is very simple. There are five PC monitors placed in different 'stations' each showing a picture. each student have to see monitor one by one (he can spend each 5minutes time) and move on to next station. The screen should have timer for 5 min. and then 1 min delay for going into next station. 

There should be control in teacher's computer (or sever). what to display in each screen and controlling counttime timer globally in all 5 monitors.

Some one will come forward to help us?

Thanks in advance

with regards

Dr. Siva Kumar

Picture of Sakshi Goel
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hello Shive

It is not supported by moodle quiz....

B.Havel
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think the e-Assessment system 

https://suivarro.nottingham.ac.uk/trac/rogo/

can help you. It was developed for the medical environment.  It can provide services(LTI) for Moodle.

Bohus

Picture of shiva k

Thanks a lot!

I have gone through it they do have e-OSCE question type. I will study and report back here. 

Thanks

B.Havel
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think that this link will help you

https://workspace.nottingham.ac.uk/display/Moodlehelp/How+to+add+a+Rogo+Self+Assessment+Paper+%28pure%29

Rogo is External tool for Moodle.

Bohus

Roy McPartland

Locally, we have set our installation of Rogō to be a LTI provider for our Moodle system.

After looking through the LTI specifications we realised that the LTI specification is only relevant to authentication (That you are known) and not specific authorisation (What you can do), this is because LTI doesn’t pass a username across, it just passes a list of roles that this user has and you interpret these to provide your control.  This is fine for most uses where a tool is provided for a VLE, as it only needs to know which organisation you belong to and some unique identifier for you (there so when you come back it can recognise you) and if you’re an instructor/student. However, Rogō does not have an ‘instructor’ role. Even if this was mapped to the ‘staff’ role in Rogō, the system still needs to know what teams the user is on to fully handle the internal security.   So, on the first launch with a new unique ID (from the VLE) request username and password assume this authenticates then tie up the unique ID and the Rogō username and use in future.  This can allow scheduled authentication checks/password syncronisations.  User can access Rogō papers securely from a Moodle course and return marks data that can be added to the grade book.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

What you are describing is not a question type, nor a quiz in the way Moodle uses that word.

You are asking for a way to display stuff on different monitors, with a synchronised timer, that is something else entirely. Yes, you could use Software to automate that; Yes, you could build such a thing as an add-on for Moodle; but I have never heard of anything like this before.

Picture of shiva k

Yes. You are right! It is not a usual Moodle question type. But OSCE is becoming common standard of testing in dental/medical/nursing and other allied education system. I tried to find such software to do that. but failed sad

If anyone direct a solution would be greatful.

But OSCE is going to be standard in clinical examination. The Moodle also should become saviour for people like us who use OSCE.

Thanks for your inputs!

Well, in Moodle terms, what you need would probably be called an "Activity module". If enough people needed this, and could get together to do / fund the development, then it might happen.

Picture of Nigel Owen

This is possible indirectly... Here at the University of Nottingham we use Moodle 2.2 and a system called Rogo for our e-assessment.

Rogo was initially produced in house (by our Medical School) and is now available Open Source. There is a whole set of functionality within Rogo that supports OSCE examination.

Rogo handles question authoring and delivery within the same system. You could download and run your own version of Rogo (standalone). This is the easiest to achieve and I suspect fulfils your requirements.

The Rogo development team did build LTI connectivity into Rogo and we currently have Rogo defined as an external tool within Moodle. This is used widely for formative assessments i.e. lots of (direct single sign on) links between our Moodle course and our Rogo system. In practice the student clicks the link in Moodle and the question paper (served from Rogo) opens within Moodle.

I am not aware of anyone linking to OSCE assessment from within Moodle. This is possible but I suspect they go straight to Rogo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NB There were URL's in this post but I couldn't send it with them in as they got marked as SPAM. I would also like to post up the relevant help page from the Rogo manual explain how OSCE's work in Rogo but can't as the file is 496Kb.

Picture of Nigel Owen

You can download Rogo here: http://rogo-oss.nottingham.ac.uk/

Our instruction page that gives an overview of OSCE's using Rogo is here: https://rogo.nottingham.ac.uk/help/staff/index.php?id=257