Sharing Files for multiple sections of a course

Sharing Files for multiple sections of a course

by Allen Ford -
Number of replies: 4

My Goal:  As team leader for a couple of accounting courses, I would like to upload one set of master files (mainly Excel) that individual faculty can copy to their section of the course.  

My Understanding:  When populating a folder (as administrator), moodle cautions that these files are available to anyone.

The problem:  I created a site folder with some files.  I am at a loss how to copy these files to specific course file folders.  Am I missing something obvious here? 

The ability to share site files will go a long way toward encouraging department faculty to engage this wonderful course management system.  With experience in Prometheus, myCourses (think Blackboard) and IdeaTools, the ability to share files was one of the few things I found useful.

Sure would love it here, too.   +Allen mixed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allen Ford

Re: Sharing Files for multiple sections of a course

by Michael Penney -
Hi Allen, I think the metacourse feature in 1.5 lets you do this.

Meanwhile, site files can be accessed by anyone, but you have to manually create the links to them, they don't show up in the course's file browser.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Brian Roy -
I'm still working at learning Moodle. Where do you manually create the links to the files?

Thanks
In reply to Brian Roy

by Michael Penney -
Right click on the file in the site files directory, copy the url (something like http://yourmoodlesite.edu/file.php?file=/1/file.jpg, and then link to it in your course.

It should be easier.
In reply to Michael Penney

by D.I. von Briesen -

Is this the case even where guest access it not allowed? If so, it seems like it might be cause for concern. I personally don't care, but others would...

As part of a "best practise" model I'm building, my recommendation woudl be any static content (doesn't change from semester to semester, and is open for users from more than one section) should be put onto a sep. webpage - ideally within a CMS (C being for content, not course).

d.i.