Can I upload a zipped file?

Can I upload a zipped file?

by Under Dog -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 2.1.2+

Hello,

If I upload a zipped file (which contain a number of PDFs) using the repository, how can I unzip them to access the subsequently add the PDF's as 'files' to an activity?

I am using FileZilla to FTP them if that helps or hinders.....

Basically, I want to upload a zipped file, unzip it on the other end and have access to the individual PDF's so I can assign them to different activities.

Thanks for any help!

-Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Under Dog

Re: Can I upload a zipped file?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. How do you mean by "assign them to different activities"? What kind of activities? It's simple from the Moodle interface to upload and unzip a folder of files - http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Folder_module_settings  but are you saying you are FTP'in them into a file system repository to use individually elsewhere? (Sorry - I am a bit confused by your question)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kieran Briggs -

I would like information here also.  Many of my staff members would create all their documents on their computers, then zip it up.  Go into the Files Link and upload the ZIP File and unzip it so all their files were in the course in one go.  Then they would go "Add A resource -> File and search for the file in the course file manager.

It doesn't appear you can do this now?

In reply to Kieran Briggs

by Rosario Carcò -

As the new file system does no more store files in a course directory, as in  Moodle 1.9, I fear we lost also this handy feature to unzip files in the course-directory/folder, where Students could also download the whole zip file instead of downloading every single linked file. So maybe students are also losing some handy features and usability is worsing instead of enhancing.

See the discussions on the new file system taking place in these forums.

There are also programmers working on REimplementation of the good old course-file-system in Moodle 2.x or enhancing the existing file-system with enhanced security to let us continue to work with 1.9 as I actually do.

Rosario

In reply to Kieran Briggs

by Paul Left -

In the version I am using (can't see a version number, sorry) you can upload a zip file and unzip it but it still appears as a zip file in the topic block. The only way to do it is to create a folder, then add the zip file to the folder and unzip it. Then the folder appears in the topic block and displays a standard file tree with the files listed as expected.

If you wanted, you could copy the URL of an index.html file (say) in the topic tree then create a link to it in the topic block. Unfortunately if you then hide the folder resource the link won't work, so the folder resource needs to remain visible. I guess it could be moved to a 'repository' topic block at the foot of the page - ie a new 'files area' smile

It seems the trade-off for supposed 'user-friendliness' has made Moodle 2 file management a bit clunky for working with folder structures.