The service is unavailable. - Fresh Install/Upgrade - Please Help ASAP

The service is unavailable. - Fresh Install/Upgrade - Please Help ASAP

by Stanley Swank II -
Number of replies: 6

Hello All,

I am in the process of installing Moodle 2.2 from 1.9+.  I have uploaded a fresh copy of 2.2.

1 I put the site in MX mode

2 I renamed the old moodle folder to moodle_old

3 I uploaded the files from the compresses zip download via FTP

Now when trying to do anything, including going to the first page in the web address retuns nothing more than the message:

"The service is unavailable."

Attached is the PHPinfo Printed to PDF, to hep with debugging as I am stuck.

The Link To The phpinfo() is:

http://elearning.sercap.us/phpinfo.php

Thanks

Stan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stanley Swank II

Re: The service is unavailable. - Fresh Install/Upgrade - Please Help ASAP

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Well, I really do not know enough when using Windows Server, as I do not use it, and I am not sure that the doc_root is supposed to show or not. In mine it does, but in yours it does not, so is it possible that the config of your PHP is not correct? As you are using Windows Server and IIS, is there not some additional configuration in IIS to make sure that PHP is running?  

You should have an index file or some test html file in the root to let you know the web server is running, you can always delete it when you are sure it is working consistently.

I also suggest that download your Moodle to a local machine, unzip it, then upload it to the Moodle folder of your server, then install it. Could it be that an unzip service is not available on your server? PHP says there is, but perhaps not... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Stanley Swank II -

The server is running php scripts using some test files that  Ihave put up, in addtion the phpinfo() is working.  I did unzip the archive locally and FTP over to the server.  I have no access to the server directly, this is done by the IT staff.  I simply have FTP access to get the files over.  I was wondering though if there are "key" folders that need specific permissions to run.  I do know that the server is pretty "locked down".  Could it be a permission that is to strict.  How could I obtain a listing of exactly what folders need what permissions to be able to pass along to the IT department.

by Stanley Swank II -

Well I don't know that I would call this one solved, but I have gotten the behavior to stop temporarily.  I deleted the config.php file.  I started using the old one, then moved to manually editing the config-dist.php included with the new version of Moodle.   With both...the issue persisted.  When I deleted the config.php fie completely, the installation page loaded.  For now, I am stuck at the "paths" page, as I am waiting for the IT staff to release permissions to finish the install process.  For now, though, it seems that the issue may be solved.  I will report back once the install process is completed.

If there is any advice on why this is so, or how to complete the upgrade without doing a "fresh install" that would be great!

Thanks All!

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Why can't The IT Crowd handle this?
sad

Serioulsy, the IT staff should do the system administration, you take over from there as the Moodle administrator.

by MARK HERDMAN -

I had the same error, after MS SQL server had 'lost contact' with the database. The db was listed in MS SQL studio but showed no tables or anything else. It turned out the log file was missing, so I followed this process to fix it -

1.    Create database with same name as MDF file you have.
2.    Stop SQL Server and swap MDF files. Make sure you also keep new database you just created.
3.    Start SQL Server. Database will be now in suspect state because log file is not correct.
4.    Run the following script in SQLCMD:

USE [master]
GO
ALTER DATABASE [MyDatabase] SET EMERGENCY
GO
ALTER DATABASE [MyDatabase] SET SINGLE_USER
GO
DBCC CHECKDB ([MyDatabase], REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)
GO
ALTER DATABASE [MyDatabase] SET MULTI_USER
GO
ALTER DATABASE [MyDatabase] SET ONLINE
GO

This may be of absolutely no help to you, of course - in which case, I apologise! But it might give your IT department something to go on, if they need it.

by Anca Farcas -

Hi Stanley!

Have you managed to solve the problem? I have the exact issue and any help it is welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Anca