How can I add a cover to a book?

How can I add a cover to a book?

by Maldwyn Pate -
Number of replies: 6

I've added a book that I've created to the Book Module in Moodle 2.  The table of contents and the chapters work fine.

However, is it possible to add a photo to create a cover?  Couldn't find a discussion topic on this.

I'd appreciate any help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maldwyn Pate

Re: How can I add a cover to a book?

by Mark Andrews -

Hi Maldwyn - I like the idea!

Do you want the cover to display when on-screen or for printing? I'm not aware of a way to do this for on-screen display but guess you could add an image into the 'description' section (when setting up your book) thatwould be displayed when printed.

Hope that's useful

regards

In reply to Mark Andrews

by Edgars Everts -

Hello, Mark!

I tried to put picture in book description field. So I got image in book listing, but it not visible in print mode.

Maybe there is another way to put image in book description field, or I should provide more paramateres, but in simple way it didn't work for me.

Just tested You solution ;)

Kind regards,
      Edgars

p.s.

in attached image in Navigation Path - Grāmatas = Books (resource)
Tēma = Topic, Nosaukums = Name, Kopsavilkums = Description, Nodaļas - Chapters.

So in Topic 5 we can see added image to book decription, but it not appears in book, or book print mode!

Attachment book_cover_image_test.jpg
In reply to Edgars Everts

by E. L. Cooper -

1) bury the book in an unused topic -for example if the class is 10 weeks set the class to 11 weeks while you are doing this then put the book in week 11

2) Use label to  insert the cover image where ever you want it

3)hyperlink the label to the book

4)reset the class to the correct number of weeks or topics

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Edgars Everts -

Ok, it's work to get book cover as link to book resource to hidden content/place (topic/week), but this doesn't solve problem, if You want get book cover in print mode.

Actually, discussion author didn't answer where excatly book cover is needed!

p.s. I just try to know moodle better  ;)

and if You have block of resources/activities then thouse books in hidden week/topic will be directly accesible from resources/activities block under book link wich will show book list.

If you hide that book, then ti will not be accessible from book cover image link, it will return error "This content is hidden".

In reply to Edgars Everts

by John Andrewartha -

I think the objective is to have a image as a front cover when doing a print book.   If you insert a image from an external source into the description it seems to work.  It fails if the image is on the local file system.

As the print version is html the final look will be determined by the paper size.

There is also no way that I can think of to put in page breaks.

The method works on Moodle 2.2 with the latest book version from the repository.

Hope that helps.

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Edgars Everts -

Tried again

1. in description field I use picture image and in URL value inserted some book address, for example:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NTaWhLUVY20/SbHknv_LtlI/AAAAAAAADEs/3dq5z0IlMwI/s400/books%5B1%5D.gif

I asked our Moodle admin for Moodle and Book module versions, so I will update this post or add later that info.

But still it dosn't work for our system. In print mode still no images!

I can see only thouse images wich are in book chapters! (external and local images), but no one from description field.

Images (local. external, directly copied Ctr + V in Visual editor) and emotions are showed only in book list.

No images (any kind), emotions in print mode.

Maybe it depends on Moodle and Book Module versions!

Attachment no image in book cover.JPG