I am having problems linking to large files. I have set up a couple of file system repositories, copied in a number of files (small and large) and successfully used several.
However when I try to set up a "File" resource to a large OneNote file containing lots of multimedia (166MB) the process is stopped with the error message "error this file is bigger than the maximum size" which the system has set to 8MB for some reason. I thought that manually inserting the file into the repository would avoid this issue.
Previously in Moodle 1.9.5 we were able to place large files into the appropriate folder in the course, then link to that file and the link to file resource would work fine.
What's the best way to do this in Moodle 2.1.3+
Any help would be appreciated.
PS. After our upgrade the links to the extra large files that worked in the 1.9.5 site still work (up to 84MB video files), but I am now unable to create new resources linking to them either.
The file system of 1.9.x is not the same as in 2.x.
In 1.9.x, course ID folders were used in the moodledata folder. One could do as you had done ... scp/FTP or other method larger than PHP limit files into those directories and teachers/students in the course could see/link to them.
In 2.x files are now part of the database and copies of the files have been hashed coded and placed in filesdir folder. One has to use a db browser to really understand how that works.
Also, if the Moodle was migrated in place from a 1.9.x to a 2.x, then the 2.x contains something called 'Legacy' - which suggest the same type of behavior as in 1.9 but from my investigations, not.
Inspect the files contained in the course ID folders (legacy) of your 2.x Moodle and see if those large files are there. Then one probably needs to search the DB table mdl_files for all information related to those files.
With the new, some of the old 'backdoor' tricks involving large files have been negated so it's new learning mode.
Might look into using the URL repo to sorta by pass the php limitations in uploading.
'spirit of sharing', Ken
Thanks to all for the above advice.
I have successfully now created a couple of site wide file repositories that work fine - except for one baffling exception:
In the same repository I have placed a small word document ~30kB, and a large Onenote file containing multimedia etc. 166(MB). Our Tech's have increased the max file upload settings etc. as in the above moodle doc without any fuss to 1024M which updeted accross the site when the moodle server was restarted.
From within a course I have set up two "File" resources to force download both files. The word document works fine, file opens, downloads, saves etc as required. The large file however does not and comes up with the error below as if the URL is broken. This is really strange because the 2 files were uploaded into the same directory one after the other then the two resources made sequentially.
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Any ideas would be really helpful.
Questions for thought - investigation:
Am guessing your IE is supposed to open the OneNote file 'automagically'? (error doesn't say 404 not found, but other). What's the filename extension on the OneNote file? .mht or .mhtml? Mime-types in Moodle and your Apache server serve out .mht or .mhtml files as?
'spirit of sharing', Ken
I have set the resource up as a "Force Download" so IE shouldn't be trying to open it. Normally the open/save/cancel dialogue comes up. But with this file the process breaks before the dialogue is displayed.
All I need the students to be able to do is to download an save the file onto their own computer, from which they can open it up using Microsoft Office OneNote from the MS Office 2010 program. Currently they can do this by accessing the file from the school's intranet. Unfortunately this is unavailable from outside school so we are setting this up in moodle so they can access the resource via the internet.
The file is a Microsoft OneNote Section with a .one extension.
I have also created quite small files of the same type and created a force download file resource with those and they worked fine.
This is seriously puzzling.
Here is a screenshot of the error.