Hot Potatoes v.6 javascript bug in Moodle?

Hot Potatoes v.6 javascript bug in Moodle?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi all!
This "bug report" is not strictly related to either Tomas's HotPot nor Gordon's HotPotatoes modules but it might be of interest to anyone using HP-authored exercises on a Moodle platform.
We are using Moodle 1.4.2 at our university. I have recently authored a few sample Hot Potatoes exercises (with version 6) and have uploaded them to our Moodle server. To my surprise, the HTML exercises did not work: it looks as if the Javascript is not recognized by our Moodle installation, the buttons, etc. just sit there but can't be activated!
On the other hand I have been unable to replicate the problem on my various local installations of Moodle (1.1.3, 1.5, with various brands of Apache, etc.): locally on my machine it works fine...
I have finally found a solution: when you save an exercise to HTML, Hot Potatoes version_6 offers you the choice to save it either as one HTML file or as 2 separate files: an HTML file and a JS file. Strangely enough, an exercise thus saved and uploaded to our Moodle server works, whilst the former solution of date+code in one file did not...
If this workaround can be useful to other perplexed HP+Moodle users, then I won't quite have lost my day. On the other hand, I'd really be curious to hear of others who have had this strange experience and of other ways to solve the problem.
All the best,
Joseph_R
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Hot Potatoes v.6 javascript bug in Moodle?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oops!
I have just realised that the bug I mentioned in my previous post means that Thomas's HotPot module will not work with HP exercises saved as 2 separate files (HTML & JS)...
Which means that a proper solution still has to be found for the situation described, i.e. single HTML HP file not working in some conditions on a moodle platform...

Joseph_R
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Joseph,
I would like to investigate the problem you have reported. If you send me the quiz files I could try them out on my own server. Alternatively, perhaps you could send details of how I can access the quiz directly on your Moodle server. My email address is "gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp".

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Dear Gordon,
Thanks for your reply and your offer to help. The mystery has now been solved, and it has nothing to do with the Hot Potatoes file itself.
You can read all the details in my post http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19269

By the way I have just started testing your new HotPotatoes module and I like it a lot. Well-done!

Joseph_R