Rubric Mean of Grades

Rubric Mean of Grades

by llywelyn morgan -
Number of replies: 3

Is it not possible for the sum of rubric grades to be aggregated?

I ask this because I wouldlike the students to grade each other's work by National Curriculum Levels (between 4 and 8).  There are three criteria with 5 levels (the first of the five starting with 4).

So for example, if a child chose 4 for all three criteria, they would receive an overall grade of 4.  At the moment, they would receive 0 / 8 as the workshop judges the level 4 to be worth 0 grade.

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to llywelyn morgan

Re: Rubric Mean of Grades

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well, that is the expected behaviour. As described in the documentation, the rubric grades are normalized first. So if the reviewer gives the grade 4 from a scale 4 to 8, they actually declare the worst possible performance considered. Which maps to grade 0 in Moodle.

I can see you point though and this is how I would try to achieve that. Set the Grade for submission in workshop to 100 (not 8). Edit the rubric so that it contains three criteria with level grades 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. The final grade for submission will be a number from 0 to 100 (aggregated as a sum of level grades and mapped from 4-to-8 range to 0-to-100 range). Then go into the Gradebook and try to play with the display format of the grade. There is a way how to display grade values from 0-100 as a letter grade from scale 4 to 8 (which is what you want).

Also note - if you want the criteria grades being aggregated using the average (not sum), you might want to use the Accumulative grading strategy.

In reply to David Mudrák

by liza h -

Now that you've mentioned the display of grades for the students, will it be possible to not display the mark in percentage after the assessment period is over? In my case, we're using the rubric mean of grades but with a condition so that the student don't get to see their actual marks, instead see them as grades (A,B,C, etc). I know this can be achieved by making the grade book available for the students, but what if we want to the students to know the criteria that we have given them but without the marks being displayed. From what I understand, if you make the grade book available, the students will only see their grades but won't know the criteria that the teachers are giving them. Or have I missed a step anywhere in the process of building this activity?

Thanks

In reply to liza h

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well, they can always click the activity name in the gradebook to get back to the workshop and see the assessments. Anyway, you may wish to vote for MDL-27239 and MDL-26349.