Server Files on large site

Server Files on large site

by Darcy Christ -
Number of replies: 2

Perhaps I am missing something, but the Server Files repository in the File Picker does not seem very useful in large installations. My university is still developing its categories and so the server files repository is extremely slow and almost impossible to navigate. It also lists duirectories in which I do not have any accessible files. And to boot, View as files doesn't seem to work from the top of the system.

Does anyone else have experience working with Server Files for large systems (lots of courses, lots of files)? Are there any add-on repositories that make it easier to just see files I can access? Recent files does not seem to include all my files.

Perhaps a more useful UI for this kind of interface is to display only files which I have permission to see, excluding all 'empty' directories and directory trees. I am not that familiar with how the file repository works, so I have no idea how easy it would be to accomplish this.  Any thoughts on this problem?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darcy Christ

Re: Server Files on large site

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You are right, it is not very useful, and probably not what you should be using.

My private files, or reeent files, are likely to be better answers to whatever problem it is that you are trying to solve.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Server Files on large site

by Darcy Christ -

I am actually trying to move files from courses into my private files and recent files shows nothing.

It seems to me that within a large system, a complete file system listing is only really useful for administrators. Perhaps it’s time for me to learn the repository API in order to build one that only shows ‘your files’. In a collaborative environment, this kind of view could be more useful than my private files for working with your existing files (although I do understand the need for private files).