owncloud.org as webdav repository

owncloud.org as webdav repository

de către Uwe Klemm-
Număr de răspunsuri: 25

Hi,

we are trying to offer our users owncloud as a webdav repository in our Moodle 2.2 install. Owncloud (owncloud.org) is a really great self-hosted dropbox alternative. As far as I can see, all webdav functions seem to work flawlessly in our installation, no trouble to access it via Web, as drive in windows etc. But whatever settings I try, I can't get Moodle to access my files.

I followed the instructions to configure a webdav repository as shown here: http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/WebDAV_repository  and http://owncloud.org/use/webdav/
No matter which settings I use, I can’t get access to my files.
Is there anyone here who could perhaps point me to the right settings?

It might be a problem of server paths (tried http://myowncloud.domain, //myowncloud.domain/files./webdav.php), of webdav path (tried /, /files/webdav.php) and / or of authentication (tried none and webdav basic authentication) or of port (tried 80 and none)

Filepicker in Moodle always just shows WebDav/ - no error message etcv.

Thanks,

Uwe

Media aprecierilor:Useful (2)
Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

Re: owncloud.org as webdav repository

de către Geoffrey Rowland-
Fotografia lui Plugin developers

Hi Uwe

I have no direct experience of Owncloud, so probably can't be of much help.

At the riskof asking the obvious, can you access Owncloud with other WebDAV clients?

I also wanted to comment that, from a quick look, Owncloud seems to have considerable potential as a lightweight (compared with, say, Alfresco or SharePoint) WebDAV repository for Moodle.

Will be keen to hear how you get on with this.

Ca răspuns la Geoffrey Rowland

de către Uwe Klemm-

Hi Geoffrey,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I can access owncloud without any problems: I can mount it as Drive in Win7, can mount it via Netdrive, can sync data using GoodSync etc. I can even access Owncloud through an Android WebDav client. So, I'd assume that this is not a general problem with owncloud itself, but rather something tricky with Moodle's Webdav repository functionality.

You are totally right, Owncloud just looks beautiful, we are very eager to implement it as a repository surâs

Uwe

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

Just tried the WebDAV interface of Moodle 2.2 rc1 with an Alfresco 3.4 repository (i.e. using the WebDAV repository interface NOT the Alfresco repository interface)

I managed to make a connection as a site-wide WebDAV repository using http (port 80) and WebDAV basic authentication with a username and password.

Couldn't get 'No authentication' to work (Just got No files available)

Perhaps try similar settings with Owncloud

If things still don't work for your setup, then perhaps post an entry in the Issue Tracker (there are already quite a few unresolved WebDAV issues)

de către Uwe Klemm-

Thanks again. I guess something is wrong with ourr Moodle configuration... I tried your settings, no result. Then - based on your Alfresco attempt - I tried to link in another Webdav service (mydrive.ch), doesn't work either, no matter what settings I try. The weird thing is that I don't even get any error message: I mistyped the server URL on purpose, nothing. Another suspicious thing: If I don't fill in my account credentials for the Webdav repository, I'd assume that I'd be asked for them if I try to add files in the file picker. Nothing. So I guess something is wrong here... Our admin will have a look at logs and turn on debugging, perhaps this will give us a hint.

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către Ken Task-
Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers

Does apache have mod_dav_fs loaded?

Check your phpinfo in System Admin menu
Section for Additional .ini files parsed.

httpd.conf
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
and
<IfModule mod_dav_fs.c>
    # Location of the WebDAV lock database.
    DAVLockDB /var/lib/dav/lockdb
</IfModule>

Have owncloud on a dedicated host (not shared) and it does function, but am seeing some 'catch 22's - one being setting some sort of quota or those who use might/will use more then their 'fair share'.  The other thought relates to 'mega-administration'.

Will continue to explore as it does look very promising.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către Gavin Henrick-

Hi,

I had not used owncloud before, but I have now.

installed Owncloud

configured on my test server http://192.168.1.12/owncloud

added some files and a folder

configured the webdav entry in moodle 2.1 as below:

Name Owncloud

WebDAV type HTTP

WebDAV server 192.168.1.12

WebDAV path owncloud/files/webdav.php/

Authentication WebDav Basic Auth

WebDAV server port 80

WebDAV server user bob

WebDAV server password isyouruncle

And it worked, viewing files, going through subfolders and copying files in.

Perhaps the settings you are using is not correct, try following how i did it replacing with yur details.

Hope that helped!

That said, owncloud is really nice!

Media aprecierilor:Useful (1)
Ca răspuns la Gavin Henrick

de către Uwe Klemm-

Thanks Gavin,

the settings you used were the ones I tried as well. To no avail supărat

As I said, something must be wrong with our Moodle install. Hope admin will find out soon surâs

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către Gavin Henrick-

Do you know if your moodle site can see the server that it is running on?

To check:

1. Turn on the repository type URL downloader
  2. Then go to a course, and add a file, choose the url downloader as the option
  3. put the http://yourdomain/owncloud/ (important to have the last / )  url in
  4. it should show u the logo on the site to download

If this is the case, your Moodle can see that site

If it cannot see the logo, then it cannot see the site and could be firewalled, or whatever.

Otherwise:

If you have admin, turn onerror reporting and try it then

It is in     Site administration/ ► Development/ ► Debugging

should help with some error messages,  but don't forget to turn that off surâs

de către Uwe Klemm-

Gavin,

thanks again. I followed your instructions. Yes, Moodle seems to be able to see my owncloud server. The logo itself is not shown, it just says ownclod_logo.png, but I can download it. Weird, isn't it?

Debugging on does not produce any error message when trying to use the repo.

Uwe
Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către Uwe Klemm-

Hi,

thanks again for all the support. We finally got it up and running - updating our Moodle to 2.3dev did the trick.

Uwe

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către John Holmes-

Uwe,

Today I upgraded to 2.3dev.  Adding url repository allows me to browser my ownCloud directory.

However, did you add a Webdav repository for ownCloud, or are you actually using the URL repository.  My sense was that we should use the URL for confirming we could access, but that something different would be required to actually ownCloud.

Do you have any pointers?

John

Ca răspuns la John Holmes

de către Uwe Klemm-

John,

we used Webdav repository. The procedure is demonstrated here: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cXlboVvRT

Audio is German, but perhaps the visual information helps?

Uwe

Hi Gavin and Uwe

Yes, I'm now the proud owner of an Owncloud installation too.

Can confirm Gavin's instructions work for Moodle 2.2 rc1

Have also tried setting up LDAP with Owncloud (we use LDAP for Moodle authentication) though, for the moment, am stumbling over the precise format for configuring the user id. We use sAMAccountName but the only instructions I have found are for UID

http://owncloud.shapado.com/questions/is-the-ldap-plugin-functional

Any suggestions?

In case this helps anyone else using LDAP authentication from Active Directory with Owncloud.

The capability to use sAMAccountName has been recently added and is available in the latest master branch on Gitorious

https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/merge_requests/60

In Settings > Admin >LDAP had to set

Filter as: (sAMAccountName=%uid)

Display Name Field as: sAMAccountName

So, via LDAP, users now have Owncloud accounts matching their Moodle accounts. This goes a little way to adressing the 'mega-administration' issue mentioned by Ken Task earlier in this thread.

I suppose one way forward would be to work out how to auto-manage and link Groups in Owncloud with, say, Cohorts, Categories, Courses and Groups in Moodle (perhaps, start with Courses) to allow appropriate sharing of resources.

It may be of interest that ownCloud 3 is about to be released. There is also a demo site.

Amongst other things, ownCloud 3 includes improved support for LDAP/Active Directory and user quotas.

In the first instance, looking to try this as a Moodle-linked WebDAV repository for teachers

The pace of ownCloud development continues to impress (me, at least!).

Amongst other features, there are now:

ownCloud clients (for Windows and Linux) that automatically sychronise local folder content with the owncloud repository.

LDAP and LDAP group backend plugins with quotas

The architecture for version control, based on git

Not yet the finished article. Much of the above is currently in the unstable development master rather than the stable 3.0.2 version. But one to watch as a potential Moodle repository.

At the risk of appearing to be an ownCloud 'cheerleader', the latest version, ownCloud 4, is looking to be a rather capable, but lightweight, repository system.

Amongst other things has

• Version control
  • Active Directory/LDAP users and groups
  • Drag-n-drop upload
  • Synchronised desktop clients
  • Application APIs

http://owncloud.org/features/

Enjoy

תשובה ל: Re: owncloud.org as webdav repository

de către Nadav Kavalerchik-
Fotografia lui Core developers Fotografia lui Plugin developers Fotografia lui Testers Fotografia lui Translators

Thanks!

Works for me. (Moodle 2.3)

Thought, I'd like to have each users open he/her own owncloud account.

While currently, i can configure only one main site wide connection to the owncloud server.

Any Ideas?

Ca răspuns la Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: תשובה ל: Re: owncloud.org as webdav repository

de către John Holmes-

Nadav,

I'm wondering the exact same thing.  I had looked at this about a month ago and experienced the same thing and I'm just now starting to look again.

I wonder if in site wide admin settings for the webdav repository you only click:

Allow users to add a repository instance into the user context

Then each user, in the navigation block has a respositories under their profile.  Here they should be able to setup the connection.  I can't remember if I tried that last month, but we had to take down our test ownCloud instance a few weeks back.
We'll need to setup again and have a go.  But I'm really hoping that each user can have their own personal access to ownCloud.
Ca răspuns la Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: תשובה ל: Re: owncloud.org as webdav repository

de către Kevin HUYNEN-

Hi,

I am digging this old thread because I have the same question. I recently discovered ownCloud and installed it in our school, now we would like to have a global repository for ownCloud, asking each user for his account and password, just like the dropbox or google API do... (not sure to be clear...)

Any new solution for this ?

Thanks,

Kevin

Ca răspuns la Uwe Klemm

de către John Holmes-

Thanks for starting this thread.  I've just installed owncloud and am loving it.  I had been experimenting with Sparkleshare, but this is far more developed and the fact that we can join as repository to Moodle makes it extra special attractive.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to connect with Moodle.  I'll be sure to post back my results.

Geoffrey, thanks also for your updates.  You're not selling the product, just giving praise where praise is due.

Ca răspuns la John Holmes

de către Teddy Aprilianto-

Hi All ,

I have tried owncloud 4.0.0 and moodle 2.3.1

The folders and files are browseable on My Private Files Editor but weird ( please see attachment ) .  The first six characters of both folders and files dissapeared . When I select any files , I got the file but empty.

Please advice, maybe anyone here have experienced the same problem

Thanks

Teddy

Atașament webdav.jpg
Ca răspuns la Teddy Aprilianto

de către Teddy Aprilianto-

It works now.

I have fixed the problem . I'm still not sure this is a bug in moodle 2.3.1 but for our moodle environment , this is a bug .

In file [moodle]/repository/webdav/lib.php  at around line 124

the scripts  :

$v['href'] = substr($v['href'], strlen(urlencode($webdavpath)));

command strlen with urlencode produce the number that higher than it should. Then I eliminate command urlencode .

$v['href'] = substr($v['href'], strlen($webdavpath));

This solution can fix my problem.  I'll try to explore more,...

Thanks

Teddy

Ca răspuns la Teddy Aprilianto

de către J Dewitz-

Hi Teddy,

we have the same setup as you and also had the same issues with the stripped URLs. Thanks for posting the fix here. Very useful!