ExamView, TestGen, EZ Test, and Blackboard Tests converted to Moodle XML

ExamView, TestGen, EZ Test, and Blackboard Tests converted to Moodle XML

by Gary Blackburn -
Number of replies: 33

I have developed an application (MoodleXMLBuilder) to convert ExamView, TestGen, EZ Test, and Blackboard tests to Moodle XML. The application takes a Blackboard export as input and outputs a Moodle XML file. The application fully supports images in all fields where Moodle supports images. The images are converted to base64 format and are embedded in the XML. This freeware can be downloaded at www.nashcc.edu/moodlexmlbuilder.

I know that there has been work on plugins to accomplish a similar task – importing ExamView/TestGen. As yet I think these are still unofficial. For those colleges like ours who have their Moodle site hosted, installing unofficial plugins is problematic. Even installing plugins that are not part of the standard package have fees associated for plugin testing and installation. MoodleXMLBuilder is installed on the client PC and does not required any Moodle site admin rights to use. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gary Blackburn

Re: ExamView, TestGen, EZ Test, and Blackboard Tests converted to Moodle XML

by Gary Blackburn -

A new version of MoodleXMLBuilder (0.3.4) has been uploaded at www.nashcc.edu/moodlexmlbuilder. This revision fixes an issue related to converting unsupported characters within a Moodle import. Moodle imports require  UTF-8 encoding. I am now passing all text through a UTF-8 encoder to ensure compatibility. This is really an upgrade that should be performed by all users to verify character set compatibility.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Sam Mudle -

Hi,

Just tried it out with the following:

• Windows 7
  • Examview Test Generator 6.2.1
  • Exported my test to Blackboard 7.1+ format.
  • Moodle 2.1.2

The following questions imported fine:

• True/False
  • Multiple Choice
  • Essay
  • Matching
  • Fill the in blank/Shortanswer
  • True/False with an image!  big grin

So thanks for the hardwork and sharing!  The image works great!

by Laszlo Tecsi -

Dear Gary

Sheffield International Colleges uses Moodle 2.2.  I would like to import many TestGen questions with images, drawings from Pearson textbooks.  I tried your MoodleXMLBuilder 0.3.4, which is a marvellous applet, however it only inserts a text 'Java Plugin' in the question where the image should be placed when I use the Moodle 2.2. I do understand that your converter is for Moodle 2.1.  I am wondering whether you have created any newer version where your converter can accommodate version Moodle 2.2.  Thank you for you help. 

Kind regards

Laszlo

In reply to Laszlo Tecsi

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Laszlo,

I am not quite sure, but most probably your problem is not caused by Gary's converter or a Moodle version mismatch (MoodleXMLBuilder works well with Moodle 2.2 too) but by the fact that some of your questions do use a java applet to display some drawing or some other stuff.

It would be very interesting for me if I could have a look at such questions to study them and see if I can find a way to import them directly in Moodle (including the java applet) using the Moodle format that I am currently developping (see MDL-25492). I do have a licenced testGen install and a Pearson account but I don't know if there would be some copyright issue to send me some of your files ? Can you send me a private message if you agree ? Thanks

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by John Venable -

I too am getting a Java placeholder instead of an image. What might be missing in our setup that would cause Moodle to not read and decode the base64-converted image?

John

In reply to John Venable

by Jayson Levine -

I'm going to have to "+1" this.  I am getting an image placeholder as well.

I am converting ExamView tests with images into Blackboard 7.1+, then using MoodleXMLBuilder to convert to Moodle XML.  When I export the ExamView test to BB ZIP, I put in the name of the question bank and the name of the image directory, and that's pretty much it.

I have a local 1.9.16+ installation (for Windows) and a 2.2.2+ installation on a web server, and the same question fails to display the associated image in both situations.

In reply to Jayson Levine

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

It's very infortunate that 3 people reported this problem but that nobody was able to upload a file so that Gary or I would be able to look at it and try to find a solution !!

I am currently working on repairing all the import question formats in Moodle and most probably in the upcoming weeks Moodle (versions 2.2, 2.3 and upcoming 2.4) will be again able to import TestGen or examview files directly without the help of any converter (see progresses in MDL-25492, MDL-34738, MDL-34808, MDL-34846 if you are interested) but I can only do it with your help !!

I would like to solve this applet placeholder problem but currently I am unable to do it as i don't have a sample file with this problem.

I can't solve problems I am unable to replicate !!!

by Jocelyn Henderson -

I was having a similar problem with TestGen. I have another test maker, EXAMVIEW, that worked perfectly.

You might pass on this information for those importing XML files into Moodle. If a question is corrupted (has something in it that Moodle doesn't like), it will stop the import at that question. In my case, I think it was a question with a ° degree symbol inserted from the test bank.

To solve this problem, go back to TESTGEN and delete that question from the quiz. Export from TESTGEN as a Blackboard 6.x-9.x. file again, then convert that zipped file using the MoodleXML builder from Nash Community College into an XML file and import again into Moodle test bank for your quiz. 

Now, for the question you deleted, go into Moodle Quiz editing screen, add a new question, and create it manually by typing in the question and the possible answers.  The text editor let me add the ° degree symbol there.

In reply to Jocelyn Henderson

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Jocellyn, this is not exact,

The only thing that will make the import stop is if the file contains a non UTF-8 character or is not a valid XML file, but for all other kind of errors the offending question will no be imported and an error message will be displayed but the import will not stop and all correct questions will be imported.

If you have a file that MoodleXMLbuilder is able to convert but that fails to import directlyin Moodle, please report and send it to me to help us improve the code.

I think I correctly handle the case of the degree symbol (and a lot of other badly coded symbols in Testgen and Examview filessmile) but as you say there is a problem I will verify again.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

After verification the degree sign is exported by TestGen as a numerical entity and is correctly decoded to an UTF-8 character during import using Blackboard V6+ import format in Moodle. So there is no problem to import questions containing that character.

But this is not to say that all characters are correctly handled wink  (In fact I suspect there are some incorrectly handled characters, some users said that some math symbols are causing problems, and this is the root cause of problems during some courses backup/restore later).

So please when any Moodle user encounter a question that is not correctly imported, report it.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

Thanks a lot Jocelyn for sending me your testGen zip file !!

It has permitted me to solve the mystery !

The "degree" symbol is in fact a jpg image and it was used in several parts of the question. My code is failing in that case because it try to create the file several times so on the second attempt an exception is thrown

Can not create file "5/user/draft/479095459///ppg__heat tracing and fre0207131350__u8728.jpg"

I will modify my code to handle this situation and as I said you helped made the code better

by Jeff Finnan -

I moved the folder, files and subfolder over to a Mac. I just tried running from the .jar on a Mac. Seems to work just fine, at least for Examview.

Jeff

by Eduardo Tito -

Thank you so much, this was indeed very useful, I'm using the new version 2.3, with previous versions I use to use the moodle option for importing blackboard, with this new version just didn't work, I'm going to see if I have more complications, I only tried with few types of questions, I'll see if I have more problems, anyway, so far is working super good! 

by Kimberly Noseworthy -

Thank you Gary for this freeware.  It works great!

In reply to Kimberly Noseworthy

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Unfortunately it seems that Gary is no longer reading this forum.

But if anybody know how to reach him or other developers of MoodleXMLBuilder at Nash Community College, I would be very interested.

by Jeff Finnan -

I forwarded this to him at the address found here:

http://www.nashcc.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=1

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gary Blackburn -

It has been quite some time since I have checked in on the forum. Work and life has taken me in other directions. But as far as coping the Moodle folder over to the Mac and running the jar, this should work with no problems except if images are involved. The path to the folder location will cause problems due to the "\" and "/" path delimter differences. It should be a fairly easy fix which I hope to get to soon. I just received a Mac so now I can do some testing.

At the same time I release a Mac version  I will also be releasing an update of the Windows version. Both will include improved error checking and will also allow the user to add a question prefix to the question name. MoodleXMLBuilder currently uses a "q" number (question number) and a truncated section of the question text for the Moodle question name.  This does cause duplication of "q" numbers with multiple imports into the same question bank. In the update, soon to be released, the user can add text of their own choosing as a prefix to the question name. So if importing questions for say chapter 11 section 2, the user might use "11.2" as a prefix. If later importing questions from chapter 11 section 3 adding a prefix of "11.3"  will delineate the difference in the Moodle question bank.

Hopefully an update and the Mac version will be released soon.

Gary Blackburn

by Georgi Samaras -

I'd just like to throw in my thanks for such an excellent tool.  This was a life saver when it came to importing ExamView questions in Moodle 2.3.  Thank you again, Gary!

In reply to Georgi Samaras

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Next week, you can thank Jean-Michel Vedrine for fixing the importers, so you can just import the questions directly into Moodle, without using any other converter.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Georgi Samaras -

I just saw the update to MDL-25492 this morning; fantastic news!  Very thankful for all the hard work Jean-Michel and the other Moodlers have put into this.

In reply to Georgi Samaras

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

On Monday, I will begin a new year and teaching math again. So I finished this just in time smile.

I will update the docs, but just a few notes

This will be part of Moodle 2.3.1+ and 2.2.4+ that will be released in a few hours (I just checked the download page now and the versions are still those from yesterday so don't rush too much to download tongueout).

Of course they will also be part of Moodle 2.3.2 and 2.2.5 to be released on september 10th, so if you are not in a hurry you can as well wait for the annoucement of these versions.

Once you have updated your moodle server with these new versions, to use the new question import format, go to Question bank and choose "BlackBoard V6+" as file format (the name is unchanged).

Then upload any .dat or .zip file (it should work with any file, be it Blackboard, testGen exported as Blackboard, Examview exported as Blackboard, including the ones that were previously imported using the "Blackboard" format) and that's all.

If you have Adriane's dragdrop matching question type installed (ddmatch) Blackboard matching questions will be imported as dragdrop questions and will not loose the html formatting in the answers. Also distractors and several subquestions with same answers now works in matching questions (even if ddmatch is not installed).

If you are importing a zip file with images, images will be imported too. The code now use Tim's idea to directly import images without encoding them so it should work even with big images or with a lot of images.

If your zip file contains several dat files with questions, all of them will be imported.

Of course now this is public, despite I did numerous tests, I am quite sure some files imports will fails, or some of you will catch questions not perfectly imported, so the best you can do is to report problems on this forum or in the tracker so that I can fix them.

I must thank all people having send me sample files since I began this work months ago, without your help nothing would have been possible, because I don't have access to Blackboard or Examview (Pearson was kind enought to provide me with a licence for the Testgen software).

I hope this work will be usefull to teachers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ryan Smith -

Jean-Michel,

First, I want to thank you so much on behalf of many USA K-12 teachers that use and want to import questions from Examview!

I just grabbed the latest 2.3.1+ release from GIT with the new fixes for the Blackboard V6+ import. I'm testing questions made in Examview, exported as Blackboard, then imported using the new import. So far so good, but I noticed that Examview short answer questions are imported as Essay questions in Moodle. Is this the intended behavior?

In reply to Ryan Smith

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

This is unfortunately the intended behavior.

See here the explanation of Gary Blackburn about the problem with essay and shortanswer questions.

But Blackboard fill in the blank questions are imported as Moodle shortanswer and should be displayed as fill in the blank questions and correctly graded.

by Ryan Smith -

Thanks for the explanation. All of my Examview 6.x questions have imported correctly so far.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Oops ! There is a missing link in my previous message :

See here Gary blackburn's explanation about Blackboard essay and shortanswer questions.

Sorry.

by Ryan Smith -

Thanks Jean-Michel.

I have one more question. When exporting the ExamView 6.x tests to Blackboard format, is it better to export to the 'Blackboard 6.0-7.0' format, or the 'Blackboard 7.1+' format?

In reply to Ryan Smith

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I must admit I don't really know

The results should not be very differents. There are some differences in the way feedbacks are imported.

Blackboard 7.1+ format is some kind of QTI format, and it allows for a lot more options than the older Blackboard 6.0-7.0 format. Unfortunately Examview don't seems to use these extra options.

But the files produced by the export to Blackboard 7.1+ format are bigger, so maybe for really big question banks there can be some performance difference (I was unable to mesure such a diffrence in my tests).

Just a side note : contrary to TestGen, I was unable to get an Examview licence and it was too expensive for me to buy one, so all my tests with Examview files were done on files send by users, so I was not able to make as many tests as I would have desired sad

Maybe Gary is able to give more informations as he has access to Examview software ?

by Gary Blackburn -

As Jean-Michel indicates, there are only minor differences between the Examview exports Blackboard 6.0-7.0 and Blackboard 7.1+ options as far as conversion to Moodle is concerned. The XML that each produces is considerably different, Blackboard 7.1+ being much more complex, but the end result for Moodle is nearly identical. TestGen uses only Blackboard XML that is equivalent to the Blackboard 7.1+ Examview exports. EZ Test only uses Blackboard XML that is equivalent to Blackboard 6.0-7.0 Examview exports.

From a MoodleXMLBuilder standpoint, the Examview, Blackboard 7.1+ is preferred. More time was spent in developing the XML parser; so it probably less likely to have programming bugs. 

by David Edwards -

Gary and Jean-Michael, thank you both for your efforts. I've just imported a test-bank with lots of images first with Gary's XLM converter program and now directly to moodle because of Jean-Michaels efforts and it works.  After many frustrating months of not being able to use Testgen to create quizzes for my students I can now do so.   What a relief!

by Chris Adams -

I downloaded the XML builder, and had no problems with the Examview files. However, when I try to use a Test Gen file, I get them exported from Test Gen, but when I try to convert them to XML, the program just locks up and sits there instead of converting the file. Any ideas?  I did try to just upload to moodle from the zip file, but I get about 4 different errors on it that way.

In reply to Chris Adams

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Chris,

You say that you did try to upload your TestGen zip file to Moodle and you got errors.

Can I ask you what version of Moodle you are using ?

Blackbord and TestGen import is broken in all Moodle versions starting from 2.0 up to 2.2.4 and 2.3.1

If you are using a 2.2.5, 2.2.6, 2.3.2 or 2.3.3 version of Moodle I would be interested to know the errors you got and that you can send me a sample file which import is failing. Thanks.

by A Barger -

Can anyone point me to instructions/files on how to patch this for 2.3.1?

Thanks

In reply to A Barger

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

The solution is to upgrade to 2.3.4 (just released). Upgrading from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 is an easy and low risk operation (or course this not a reason not to backup everything before upgrading, because even simple operations can go wrong !). An even better solution if you can would be to upgrade to 2.4.1 but this is a bigger change.

Backporting the changes I did to 2.3.1 would be difficult and require understanding of how import code works in Moodle.