Moodle for mobile

Picture of Juan Leyva
Unofficial clone of the Moodle Mobile app for Android and BlackBerry
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm working in an unofficial clone of the Moodle Mobile app for iPhone that works on Android and Blackberry devices (WebWorks, OS 6.0 and higher). It should work also on iPhone and iPad.

This application is intended and has been designed to be easily customizable by Institutions (University, corp..). This application uses common web technologies (HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript) and the high level multiplatform mobile Javascript framework Phonegap.

Phonegap enables you to build your app once with web-standards and deploy to multiple platforms.

Please note that this app is not a replacement or improvement of the official app for iPhone (and Android when available). It has beend designed to be a good starting point for creating your own custom app because is easily customizable and extendable using web technologies by anyone.

The app is currently an alpha relase with some bugs to fix and some functionallities not working fine

This post is a call for help for alpha/beta testers in Android and also BlackBerry

Downloading, installing and more information here;

https://github.com/jleyva/umm/blob/master/README.txt

umm

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Martin in black and white
Re: Unofficial clone of the Moodle Mobile app for Android and BlackBerry
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Awesome, Juan!  This is definitely on the right track!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jérôme Mouneyrac
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Juan,

Thank you! It's great to see a HTML5 app in action.

I tried the "participants" section in chrome and in iOS/phonegap. It works very nicely (except I could not store as I didn't setup the browser and only used phonegap 1.0.0 in iOS).

I have few questions:
* It seems to me you are using the phonegap function localStorage. What do you think about the offline storage capability (was it easy to use, what are the limitation)? 
* What do you think about Jquery? As you know I tried Moodle 2 web service in Javascript with Sencha. I actually choose Sencha because I mainly didn't want to bother with complex manifest in Jquery mobile. However your solution phonegap-localstorage/jquery-mobile seems even quicker than learning Sencha for a web developer. The code looks clear and short.
* As you have been using Moodle web services, can you give a feedback about the web service in Moodle 2.2. What was good, what we should be improving and focusing on?
* the android link doesn't seem to work ("The page doesn't exist") https://build.phonegap.com/apps/49110/download/android

Thanks again for sharing this template app. Hope you can keep it updated big grin I'm going to add the github link into the web service client documentation.

I'll test it more with iOS (need to install the 1.20 and try it on a device). I also can test it with my Nexus S. Can you send me the apk?

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Jeromee,

* It seems to me you are using the phonegap function localStorage. What do you think about the offline storage capability (was it easy to use, what are the limitation)? 

localStorage is indeed a HTML5 function. Phonegap wraps it if is not availabe in your browser. Since iphone, android and BB uses a html5 webkit based browser it should be natively available in these platforms.

* What do you think about Jquery? As you know I tried Moodle 2 web service in Javascript with Sencha. I actually choose Sencha because I mainly didn't want to bother with complex manifest in Jquery mobile. However your solution phonegap-localstorage/jquery-mobile seems even quicker than learning Sencha for a web developer. The code looks clear and short.

I choosed jquery mobile because it is very easy to use the markup language. Another point for chosing jquery mobile was because the new MyMobile core theme for Moodle 2.2 uses it.
As far as I know there is no manifest in jquerymobile.

* As you have been using Moodle web services, can you give a feedback about the web service in Moodle 2.2. What was good, what we should be improving and focusing on?

I love webservices in Moodle 2.1 and 2.2 I reported some bugs regarding the REST+XML response and I'm going to report 2 more bugs:
- Once regarding webservices in 2.2 and some functions in the enrol externallib
- Another bug that prevents me for showing the profile images of the users, this is a funny one (showing the image in a HTML app prevents the app for executing webservices smile because the profile image url sets a Cookie and Cookies are forbidden in Moodle webservices calls)

* the android link doesn't seem to work ("The page doesn't exist") https://build.phonegap.com/apps/49110/download/android
It works for me, your Mac computer doesn't like Android apk smile

My intention is to keep it updated (if someone uses it). Since I work for the Moodle spanish partner (CV&A) I will ask him for sponsorship

Regards

Picture of Juan Leyva

This is the bug URL for the Cookie issue mentioned above:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30495

Edited: The enrol externallib issue is fixed in 2.2 HEAD

Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Juan,

thank you for your explanations (lol on the mac comment smile I'll try with my phone). I added a link to your template in the docs (http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Creating_a_web_service_client#Demo_client_examples)

Thanks for the reports + fixes too smile I'll tackle these issues after 2.2 release.

Hi Juan,

I tried https://build.phonegap.com/apps/49110/download/android on my Nexus S (allowing any apps to be installed) and it displays "The page you were looking for doesn't exist.". 

Picture of Juan Leyva

So It seems that the link is a redirection to an Amazon S3 file

It's very strange but redirections doesn't work for you (do you have any restrictions in Australia smile ?)

Please try this link:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/android.phonegap/slicehost-production/apps/49110/umm_UnofficialMoodleMobileapp-debug.apk

1. Request URL:
  2. Request Method:
    GET
  3. Status Code:
    302 Found
  4. Request Headersview source
    1. Accept:
      text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    2. Accept-Charset:
      ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
    3. Accept-Encoding:
      gzip,deflate,sdch
    4. Accept-Language:
      en-US,en;q=0.8
    5. Connection:
      keep-alive
    6. Cookie:
      __qca=P0-86982588-1321888770854; remember_person_token=BAhbB1sGaQKYYyIZY2ZxemZYcXE1YUMzQTNqZTZxY0M%3D--ef61c3978f24b598c4572b65062974295b7517ec; __utma=35435966.1674064123.1321633138.1322238321.1322467688.12; __utmc=35435966; __utmz=35435966.1322126642.7.3.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided); _okapi_2_session=BAh7CCIQX2NzcmZfdG9rZW4iMTNGUmVFbkJROVQ0Qk83eEVsNFJOSXdCSzVHbFdIS2VHZkF4UmVvVWdISWM9Iht3YXJkZW4udXNlci5wZXJzb24ua2V5WwgiC1BlcnNvblsGaQKYYyIiJDJhJDEwJFpyL3ZWeGZIeW1sWGtURjIwRjdzVnUiD3Nlc3Npb25faWQiJTU4OTdiZWRjZDI2ZGE0NDkwMGFkYTUxMmM4NjAyYTlm--76a4decabb5dad3ab584dd89e5f648248b1829f3
    7. Host:
      build.phonegap.com
    8. User-Agent:
      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.121 Safari/535.2
  5. Response Headersview source
    1. Cache-Control:
      no-cache
    2. Connection:
      Keep-Alive
    3. Content-Encoding:
      gzip
    4. Content-Length:
    5. Content-Type:
      text/html; charset=utf-8
    6. Date:
      Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:23:50 GMT
    7. Keep-Alive:
      timeout=15, max=100
    8. Location:
    9. Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
    10. Set-Cookie:
      _okapi_2_session=BAh7CCIQX2NzcmZfdG9rZW4iMTNGUmVFbkJROVQ0Qk83eEVsNFJOSXdCSzVHbFdIS2VHZkF4UmVvVWdISWM9Iht3YXJkZW4udXNlci5wZXJzb24ua2V5WwgiC1BlcnNvblsGaQKYYyIiJDJhJDEwJFpyL3ZWeGZIeW1sWGtURjIwRjdzVnUiD3Nlc3Npb25faWQiJTU4OTdiZWRjZDI2ZGE0NDkwMGFkYTUxMmM4NjAyYTlm--76a4decabb5dad3ab584dd89e5f648248b1829f3; path=/; HttpOnly
    11. Status:
    12. Vary:
      Accept-Encoding
    13. X-Powered-By:
      Phusion Passenger (mod_rails/mod_rack) 3.0.7
    14. X-Runtime:
    15. X-UA-Compatible:
      IE=Edge,chrome=1

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

Ah yes with the direct link to amazon it works. It's weird but good to know.

I tried the three upload functionalities, they work. Only I had some issues when taking a picture. I had to press multiple time cancel button or take a picture multiple time to quit the "camera app". It's probably a phonegap issue.

Anyway that's a good step forward to a Moodle HTML5 app smile 

Picture of Patrick Pollet
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Same with me with an HTC Desire device :

• The Amazon link worked but not the build.phonegap.com one
  • I did try uploading a picture and an audio record. The android app gave me a success message but the two files could not be found in the user's private files area, nor in table mdl_files.  
  • I am using latest Moodle 2.1.3 build  20111128
Excellent work Juan BTW. 

Cheers

Edit : @juan, you should add to the README.txt that one should also enable 'mobile web service' in Site admin/ plugins/ web services/ external service. It took time to me to find it out ,-) 

Picture of Patrick Pollet

As stated in README.txt file upload did work when I changed maxbytes from default value ( 0 = Site limit) to 8Mo in Site administration / Site Policy , so this is definitively a bug in Moodle Web Service ( Jérome si tu m'entends wink  )

Cheers

Patrick, yes I remember this one (MDL-30496) smile

Picture of Youngpyo Son

Patrick,

I made changes for maximum upload file size but I didn't get it working. Upload always fails to me. What are the things I would have to make sure other than upload file size limit?

Thank you,

Y

Picture of Youngpyo Son

I figured that upload feature only works through http not https. Anyone has an idea why this is the case?

Thank you in advance.

Picture of Stuart Lamour

Juan - this is really nice work smile

Be interested to know your thoughts on getting this stuff into regular moodle, rather than an app style interface?

e.g. making the things that currently don't just work on mobile (file upload etc) work as standard in moodle?

Cheers

Stuart Lamour

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Stuart,

this is not an easy question smile 

I think that the MyMobile theme is achieving good results and it's a good starting point for improving the Mobile support in regular Moodle.

Regards

Picture of Stuart Lamour

Hi Juan,

agree - its not an easy question, but it is one i fear we all have to face.

Our moodle saw an astronomical rise in the number of 'mobile' (including tablet) hits this year. It looks set to overtake 'desktop' users by 2013 if it continues at the same rate.

I fear that by focusing on specific mobile themes, we may be engaging in an elongated distraction. This isn't to de-value the work of yourself or mymobile - both of which i think are great projects.

I'll try and explain. Currently the approach of us using moodle seems to be to put all this stuff in a box called 'how to deal with that difficult mobile thing', and then bury our heads in the sand. But for the future of moodle i think we need to bring the work you and others are doing into the core...

An interesting question :

If more of your users are viewing your moodle on a mobile theme, then what is your users primary experience of moodle?  

Where should your priorities be?

If we think about our own users primary experience of moodle it will probably through mobile, within the next few years.

Faced with this it would lead any of my managers to conclude that we focus on the majority of our users first. We use a mobile theme as our primary theme. We would then have to extend that for the (minority) desktop users.

Anyway, its a situation we are not quite in yet, but judging by those ever rising stats its getting nearer, and i wonder if any other moodle users are feeling similar.

Cheers

Stuart Lamour

Picture of Juan Leyva

Last night I rebuild the app with new features:

A cache system for using the app offline

Page transitions animations support (you must restart the app once enabled)

Settings for enable page transitions and cache times 

Option for purge caches

The download link is still the same

New features

Picture of Juan Leyva

Support for viewing course contents have been added

Please note that this only works in Moodle 2.2

Download link for android:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/android.phonegap/slicehost-production/apps/49110/umm_UnofficialMoodleMobileapp-debug.apk

s1

s2s3

Picture of Juan Leyva

Version 1.0 released!

See this post:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=192246

The plugin is waiting for approval so the plugin link may not work

Picture of pradeep kumar

it is nice to see content of courses on the mobile app can i read the content of courses

if it is possible please give me feedback as soon as possible.

thankyou

Picture of sue sugizaki

Hi,

I created an apk and discovered that "Participants" and "Contents" showed exactly the same thing, My Courses.

Q: what have i missed?

BR, sue

Picture of sue sugizaki

Hi,

Sorry I found "Participants" and "Contents" showed My Courses first and then "Users" and "Course contents" respectively... So it works tho' a bit confusing.

Picture of David Phelps

Juan,

Is there anyway to have the app automatically download course files or place it on a schedule?  This would be really useful.  We have a number of students without Internet access at home and having their assignments downloaded a week in advance would prevent them from being behind if they miss a day of school.  I know it requires a lot of storage but perhaps it could specify activities vs. resources and/or between media and documents.  This would make Moodle the ultimate 1:1 tool for K-12 schools.

Picture of Jim fakoya

USING THIS APP AS AN EDGE-

I view that is will make d app more functional even in open distance lqearrning.

Picture of Shantanu Rooj

Hey, I tried installing this app on my Android Tablet using android 4.0.3. The application got installed but refuses to login.

Can someone help..

Picture of Nitin Jain

Hi,

i was wondering if there is any progress on this... how can i use this app to access my course contents offline.. is it possible??

thanks
Nitin

Picture of dion reeso

I have both devices, but it is really different to use the app in iPhone. There are some bugs in Android when logging in to secure network, in iPhone there is none and I can also access secured site even I am working at. 

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove advertising link - see Moodle.org forums Code of Conduct - original submission Friday, 27 July 2012, 7:22 AM)

Picture of Nitin Jain

Hi,

I tried installing this app on my android tablet using Android 2.2..

my moodle version is 2.2.1, i made all the necessary settings as mentioned in readme.txt.. i have downloaded the app from Moodle Plugin directory..

now after entering the site name, username and password it gives error "could not connect to the site".. can anyone help please...

thanks
Nitin

Picture of Tigran Terteryan

Is it possible to create Apple and Android customized package and upload to store?

Picture of Hariharlall V.Nair

Hi Juan, this app is great.. im looking forward for the new moodle mobile update as im planning to cuztomize this app for my final year project. 

btw.. I dont see any logout option for this app. All I can do is 'add a new site'(which is the same site) to login as a different user. A log out button would be convenient. 

Picture of Kunal Shah

I have problem in accessing Moodle Mobile on my iPhone safari browser. Is it that it only works for Desktop Chrome with the below settings enabled?

"You must run Google Chrome in Unsafe mode adding this params: --allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security"

What settings do I need to do in order to make it work on all html5 supporting browser?

PS: I have hosted the moodle site as well as moodle mobile html5 web app on my local Macbook