Navigation block, inconsistent behaviour

Navigation block, inconsistent behaviour

by Joe Griffin -
Number of replies: 0

I seem to have found some erratic behaviour in teh navigation block. I posted on the general problems forum but I think I need to post here also.

I have set up an experimental Moodle server on my Mac and I am also using the demo site. So in both cases I am using 2.1 or 2.2. I have also been working throught the book, Moodle 2 - First Look by Mary Cooch.

Essentially the problem is that sometimes what I expect to be a link in the navigation block is not a link. For example, in the demo site there is a course in the English section called Romeo and Juliet. It has 2 topics. According to Mary's book the topic names in the navigation block should be links and when clicked should cause that topic to be the only visible object in the central area. These are not links and the topics therefore do not appear in the central area.

So my first question, has the funtionality of this changed since Mary wrote her book? If it has could I suggest that maybe the list of topics in the navigation block could be changed so that the little arrow is for expanding a topic but if the user clicked on the topic title itself this caused the topic to be displayed in the central area. Just a thought.

The second issue concerns the item names (resources and activities) that appear when a topic is expanded in the navigation block. On the demo site when I click on Topic 1 a list of activities and resources appears. Some are links and others are not. From an HCI perspective I would suggest that these should either always be links or always not be links. It is confusing to the user if different things happen when a user clicks on a resource in the navigation block or clicks on a resource in the topic area. (i.e. the resource titles in topic sections are always links but only some of the same resource titles are links in the Navigation block).

Not sure if this is a bug or maybe a suggestion to ensure there is more consistency in operation for the user when trying to achieve the same operation.

Thanks for all the hard work every one is doing on this new Moodle.

Joe

PS Similar inconsistincies occur on the QA test site. I've added a resource to the resources section. If I change the display option to Embed the entry in theNavigation bar is a link but not otherwise. However another resource, the image has the display option set to Automatic and this is a link in the navigation bar. When I use the same display option with the file I uploaded it is not a link mixed

Average of ratings: -