Certificate (plugin)

Automatically creating and emailing certificatate w/out user action?

Picture of Liam O'Reilly
Automatically creating and emailing certificatate w/out user action?

It doesn't send the certificate by email until the user views the certificate in Moodle.

Is there a way of making it automatically email the PDF certificate without any user interaction?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Paul Drayton
Re: Send certificate after passing quiz

I need this too.

Liam, did you find a solution? If so, please share.

Thanks,

Paul

Picture of aman katoch

Hi , I can make the certificate also be send as pdf at the time of completion . The file view.php in mod/certificate needs to be changed a for that .

Picture of Mark Nelson
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Liam, I am not too sure what you are asking here. Did you want the certificate to be emailed to the student and teachers as soon as they meet the requirements, even if they do not click on the certificate?

Think I am older now :)
Group Documentation writersGroup Testers

Hi Liam,  Created a new thread and thought it was a good question.

We have this issue: people meet all the requirements but don't go to the office for their certificate (print it)  smile     Then they complain to the registrar.   Our policy is that to complete the course, you have to have a certificate.  We let our students know that this is part of their  course requirement smile   

However you maybe asking to have an email sent to the teacher (or whomever) after a student completes or attempts a quiz.   This is a different issue.  Requires dong something in the quiz code or in the activity completion code to create that option. See those forums for discussion about sending emails.

Chris

Picture of Alan Kmiecik

Liam, what do you mean by "created a new thread"?  is this still the place to get it answered?

Here is my situation:  MoodleRooms does not have the Certificate Module available so, I pulled the database into my own instance of Moodle, installed Certificate Module and now would like to send certificates to all who completed the course.  Any ideas?

Picture of Fermin Aguilar
Re: Automatically creating and emailing certificatate w/out user action?

Ya it should work that way. Let me know if someone finds how to get feature to work.

Other Post with same issue.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?reply=800610
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=100813
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=147338

Picture of Mark Nelson
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Guys,

The certificate code is only triggered when a user clicks on the actual link to view it. In order to add the automatic emailling of certificate functionality you would have to edit the certificate cron job so that it checks each certificate instance, identifies the enrolled users who have met the certificate conditions (if there are any) and then email them the certificate (if they have not already received it).

This is all possible but would require some time to develop. Currently I have started working at Moodle HQ and have been told that I will have free time to work on this plugin. This means that I won't be only developing it in my spare time, which is great. So hopefully I can introduce more and more features sooner rather than later. This being one of them.

Regards,

Mark

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Jay Knight
Group Developers

I wrote a simple local plugin that uses cron to check for certificates that are available based on the completion/grade requirements,  and generates and saves the pdf on our main site.  This allows us to remove old classes from moodle while keeping their certificate in their "portfolio" on our main site.  It could pretty easily send an email instead (or in addition).  I can share that if anyone is interested.

Picture of Mina Thabet

Sounds great. I would love to have a copy. Where does it save the certificates? Does it create a folder for every user? Thanks.

Picture of Jay Knight
Group Developers

I've stripped out the parts that are specific to our implementation and put it at https://github.com/jk3us/moodle-certsave (without any testing whatsoever).  This would go in the local/certsave directory, or renamed appropriately.  It registers a cron function that loops through courses/enrollments/certificates and generates all certificates for which requirements have been fulfilled (you may want some way to prevent it from generating old certificates every time).

We use this with the database of our "main site" (non-moodle), saving course/enrollment/certificate information there for historical purposes, and generating the certificate in the proper place.  To make this work, it would probably need to be customized in some way and may connect to some external database (using the ADO db library, see the external db auth plugin for some examples of how that works).

I've also toyed with the idea of exposing some of the certificate functionality as a webservice api, but for our purpose, this path turned out to be simpler.  But a webservices api built into the cert module might be a nice idea.

Let me know if you find this useful or have ideas of how to make it more generally useful (without everyone having to customize the code for their purpose).

Picture of Jean-Pierre Mouret

Dear Jay

Your script is exactly what I need. I'm using a standard 2.3 installation.

Because I'm not a crack in SQL: Could you tell me where I have to change your generic code?

Regards

jpm

Picture of Fermin Aguilar

Hey Jay, If you don't mind, I would like to get the info

Picture of blue o
Any posiblity is auto generate email function in moodle

Any one help me

Picture of Wendi Turner

Hey Mark, I have not yet finished all the things I need to do in order to test my own site, but I was wondering if this plugin was finished...is it set up to automatically email the student the certificate if they meet the restriction parameters? I have set it up with a test in one of the sections, and the certificate in that same section. The certificate is programmed so that you must pass the test with 70% in order to get the certificate. The certificate is set to be available to the student by "email". Did I do it all correctly?

Picture of vinod v

It would be nice if a certificate is generated based on course completion rather that user clicking on it

Picture of A B

I was working on the certificate autogeneration, once the course activity has finished, and I successfully tested it in some course and works well.

Right now there are some problems like:

• the script stops if there are more than 200 users in the course (its not php execution timeout, something is timing out, just not sure what, any ideas?)
  • I am trying to run the certificate automation in a separate crontab (not with the moodle cron), and I am getting some CLI cron error (if someone could point me to a good direction on running a separate cron that would be great). 

Picture of Wendi Turner

Do we need to upgrade, reset, reinstall, do anything to get it to work?

Picture of Wendi Turner

I do not see an upgraded version of the certificate...am I missing something?