YUI Issue

YUI Issue

by Gary Newport -
Number of replies: 8

At our college we are finding that we cannot upload files to Moodle. We can outside but not inside. A little investigating shows that this seems to be down to the fact that a request is made to Moodle but the replying traffic is from Yahoo and the system is refusing this return traffic. Hence, the loading bar simply continues indefinitely.

Is anyone else aware of this and any idea how we could solve this issue without disabling our security?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Newport

Re: YUI Issue

by Troy Shimkus -
My first thought is that the uploaded is using some JavaScript from the YUI library. You could just download the YUI version and use it locally instead of calling it from the yahoo servers. I'm assuming that it would be a simple change of a header file. But not knowing specifically what version your dealing with and such, it's just a first thought guess.
In reply to Troy Shimkus

by Gary Newport -
Sorry, I should have stated: Moodle 2.1.2 is our version; being hosted on a remote server so we are not addressing Moodle locally (which would probably resolve the issue). Can I install the YUI system with my Moodle installation and therefore have everything addressed from the same location?
In reply to Gary Newport

by Tim Hunt -
Gambar Core developers Gambar Documentation writers Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Peer reviewers Gambar Plugin developers

By default, Moodle comes self-contained with its own copy of YUI. You need to work out why it is not using that. Now there are ways to configure Moodle to use an external YUI, but that is not normal.

In reply to Gary Newport

by Troy Shimkus -

If you have FTP access to the server, then you should be able to edit the proper file. I'm still managing 1.9 installations, justnow moving intot he 2.1 installations, so I don't have the exact location of where it is calling the YUI files, and your theme could also play a role in that.

I took a quick look at the basic 2.1 installation set and it looks to be a little more complex than I anticipated, so there may be someone out there that knows the better way to do this. 

For ease, you would be much better off allowing traffic from the yui,yahooapis.com domain. I did a quick search and see that that sepcific address is mentioned over 172 times throughout the moodle code.

I do see Tim's point, and notice in the config files, moodle is set to use an internal version of the YUI library located in /lib/yui, you mentioned seeing your server reach out to the yahoo servers, so I'm wondering if in your host's setup, they are not using the internal yui settings. It would be worth looking at their settings.

In reply to Troy Shimkus

by Gary Newport -
I believe the technicans have already tried authorisation but it appears that the web filter is seeing the request go to Moodle but the response come from Yahoo; therefore disallowing the data flow - regardless of whitelisting the address. Tim says find out why it is not using the local YUI files but how?
In reply to Gary Newport

by Troy Shimkus -

Yeah, I see what Tim was talking about being that moodle is designed to use an included YUI library.

I should probably preface by saying I don't have any degrees or certifications in this area, so my methods are just that, what I would try if it were my system. Take it for what it's worth. I know there are others out there with much more experience and official education in these matters.

Where is the web filter that is blocking the traffic in realation to the user? What activity are you doing that is having the issue?

The first step I would probably try is to go to the page that is having the error, viewing the source of that page, looking at the top of the document, find the JS include statements that refer to the yahoo domain. Once we see the specific files being called, we can then look for the issue in the code that is causing your moodle system to not use the included library.

In reply to Gary Newport

by Danny Wahl -

I'm guessing that you've checked the "Use online YUI libraries" option then.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Gary Newport -
You may be guessing but on this occasion you are wrong! clown And that WAS ticked so I think I have found the issue. No idea how it became ticked but since it's default seting is NO and I am the only one who works on the site I must have ticked it. I am a MUPPET! Thank you everyone for your assistance. I will check this has now worked!