zebra theme for moodle 2

zebra theme for moodle 2

by james aco -
Number of replies: 11

Hello

i tried to install theme zebra for moodle 2,but just footer and header appearing - http://elearn.you10.net/1/Zebra-theme.jpg

thank you 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to james aco

Re: zebra theme for moodle 2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi James,

Well YOU would...in Hebrew smile However, I don't think Danial was aware of the issue with RTL and Moodle 2.0 themes.

The fix is in the pipeline but I doubt it will be released until the end of this month as all code is frozen now until Moodle 2.2 is rolled out.

You could try the Moodle QA test site...

http://qa.moodle.net/login/index.php

...and see how things are going....I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised!

Regards

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mary,

Will this be fixed by the Moodle core update, Mary?

If I understand it right, although Zebra uses base as a parent theme, it excludes the pagelayout style sheet in favour of one based on the rebase layout Daniel created previously, which incorporates all the css3 @media calls for different screen sizes.

I know the same thing happened when I tested Lagomorph with rtl language a few weeks ago - I'm still trying to work on correcting that, although to be honest it went on the backburner for a bit until after the core changes go through in 2.2 to see if they help, so I haven't got very far - and one of the reasons I went back to MJT's original layout code for multilayout/multistyled.

It will be great if the core fixes do carry over to Zebra because I think Daniel's use of the @media calls in Zebra is a great way to address some of the issues with browsing on tablets/smartphones etc.

Looking forward to seeing the fixes in place, and all the other great work you've been doing on developing the core themes recently - Well Done and Thank You as always :D

QA site looks good - I've used the demo site before (Mount Orange?) but not the qa one. I'll have to take a closer look at it for my own benefit! smile

Rich

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Richard,

Have you created a FORK off the main Moodle site in GIT?

If not then do it and bring the files into your Computer then once there create a branch so that you can use as a Moodle test-site.

Development: Git for developers

User:Sam Hemelryk/My Moodle Git workflow

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Not yet,

Keep meaning to - and its now getting onto my urgent todo list because that's the obvious way to go when I start at the university, so spent some time over the weekend and today looking at the instructions and pages, but hadn't come across that page of Sam's yet - now on my reading list for tomorrow, after I get back from college where I've got to prep a lecture on how to teach databases (for Junior children) when the software available in the suite I'll be in is completely different from what I had in school - and, of course, I don't have licences for any of it at home smile

It's a good job the one group are out on teaching practice because I can use their IT lab time tomorrow to prep before the lecture on Thursday lol!

Having started using github for my themes, I'd planned to use it when I next reinstalled moodle on my sandbox local host, but when it actually happened my internet was so up and down that I just took the way I knew best and put off going down the git route. But now it's fixed properly, I guess there's no excuse is there LOL smile

Rich

Edit: So much for tomorrow's reading list - thanks Mary, Sam's workflow document was EXACTLY what I've been looking for, I wish I'd found it earlier, it puts so much of the git reading into an easily understood sequence :D

by Mary Evans -

In answer to your...anything is possible.

But I can't answer that sorry...all I know the files are there ready to integrate, if they find the time to test it.

I think all the changes have to be done in the theme. You will need to check the MDL-26400

Here is a link to the changes for Afterburner...

https://github.com/samhemelryk/moodle/commit/ac999e8c369dab106df6327f27b76c73f4b31056

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Was reading the tracker earlier when I saw your post on it (I put myself as a watcher on it a while back, so do get the posts through, but hadn't skimmed back over the whole issue for a bit)

Thanks for the link to the afterburner changes - just to check if I've understood it right: It forces the page to ltr in the first place (on the page-wrapper) and then changes each section separately to be rtl (if needed), so that the overall layout remains as intended, but the contents of each section are then displayed correctly in rtl.  thoughtful Clever way around the issue!

Thanks Mary,

Richard

by Danny Wahl -

Once there's a fix in place in the core I'll get it rolled into the theme ;)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Richard Oelmann -

Was going to say the same for Lagamorph, Daniel.

Thanks for the excellent work on rebase and then on zebra! smile

Richard

In reply to james aco

by Danny Wahl -

Just letting you know that I've added a fix to Zebra now that they've fixed it in core. My fix was surprisingly simple. Just add this to pagelayout.css or update to the latest version.

/* RTL Hack */
.dir-rtl {
    direction: ltr;
    overflow-x: hidden;
}

it sets it back to ltr, but base handles all the rtl stuff underneath.  Of course this won't work if you don't have the latest Moodle because it relies on core changes.
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

Hi Daniel,

Talking of RTL/LTR page direction I found out an interesting fix in the IE browser itself. Right click and select Encoding and then select LTR document, switches the left-hand scroll bar issue over to the right when using a RTL language pack.

smile

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Danny Wahl -

Thanks Mary, unfortunatley I don't have a Windows based development platform.  But I imagine that there's something like that available for most browsers.