1. I use Moodle 2.1.1 hosted on HostGator and set up using Fantastico. It has worked well, including successful manual backups and restores.
2. Prior to switching to Moodle 2.1.1 on HostGator, I had successfully and manually backed up a course in Moodle 2.1.1+ (on Key to School server). I wished to restore that course to my HostGator (HG) server.
3. During that restore process, I received a warning that restoring a 2.1.1+ course to a 2.1.1 installation may cause inconsistencies (paraphrased). At that point, I cancelled the Restore.
4. Now, my Moodle 2.1.1 installation will not do any manual or automated backups. I followed forum advice to check that the Backup-General Backup defaults are all set to the defaults and none of "locked" select boxes are checked. After selecting Backup:
a. In Step 1: I receive a message in red, bolded font stating: “Your settings have been altered due to unmet dependencies.”
b. In Step 2: all my quizzes (that is the only activity I use) have a locked icon next to them with a red “X.” When I roll my cursor over the locked icon, I get “locked by dependencies.” When I roll my cursor over the red “X”, I get “No.”
4. Obviously I need the backup capability. Before I uninstall and reinstall Moodle 2.1.1 (along with all the work there is to bring the site “up to speed”), can anyone suggest a remedy to regain the backup capability?