Students get to choose some of the quiz questions

Students get to choose some of the quiz questions

per Eric Bryant,
Number of replies: 7

I have a faculty member that has an essay test in Moodle 1.9 that consists of 7 total questions; however, one only needs to answer 5 of the 7 questions. This instructor wants each of the 5 questions to be worth 20-points each for a total score of 100-points (as the quiz sits now, the quiz is worth 140-points [7 x 20], and the quiz total is manually adjusted).

Does anyone know how to set this up differently? No random questions as each student must answer 5 from a quiz of 7.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Bryant

Re: Students get to choose some of the quiz questions

per Rick Jerz,
Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Testers

There might be other approaches, but here is what I would do (as a start).

1) When you add your seven question, make each worth 20 points.  Make the total worth 100 points.

2) In the gradebook, edit the item and give it a multiplier of 7/5, or 1.4.

Now, my "test" student takes the exam and get 2 out of 5 correct.  Although the quiz reports 40/140 or 28%, the gradebook shows 40 out of 100.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Bryant

per Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

More than a yeat ago I already gave a solution (similar to the one given by Rick Jerz) in this discussion:

Attempt any x out of y questions.

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

per Ravi Vare,
In reply to Ravi Vare

per Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

@Ravi: that's exactly the reference I gave in my post.clinhada

In reply to Eric Bryant

per Eric Bryant,

Thanks to all that replied.  This has been most helpful and I will add a link to this thread in our online "Instructor Lounge".

Thanks again!