Jump to Next Lesson

Jump to Next Lesson

ໂດຍ Karl Sumwalt -
ຈຳນວນການຕອບກັບ: 7

I have a Course which has 5 Topics.  Each Topic has a series of Lessons activities.  Each Lesson activity consists of a Content Page which has a video.  There are no other pages to teh Lesson.  So I would ike the required Content 1 Jump to go to the next Lesson's Content Page.  Next Page does not seem to do this, but take the student to a Lesson Complete page.  Is there a way around this? Maybe I shouldn't be using the Content Page at all, but something else? If something else, what would you recommend?

My final goal is to have these videos go from one to teh next, but make the second dependent on spending enough time onthe first to have viewed the video.

Karl

ການຈັດອັນດັບສະເລ່ຍ: -
ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Karl Sumwalt

Re: Jump to Next Lesson

ໂດຍ Lisa Nicholls -

Hi -- pardon me for jumping in, but I'm trying to make sure I understand the goals of the lesson activity --

Given this goal, why wouldn't you make each Topic consist of one Lesson, with a series of pages, each one of which is one of your current Lessons?

The point of a Lesson (in my novice understanding) is its sequential nature, the fact that each page leads to the next.  By making each video into its own Lesson, you're not really taking advantage of this behavior, are you? 

A Lesson doesn't have the ability to specify sequential actions outside its own scope (or, if it does, then it doesn't have any *special* ability outside what *any* activity could do; for example, the final page of a lesson could read "If you're finished with this Lesson, please click here <url> for your next activity <which might be a jump to anywhere>").

Within a Lesson's scope, however, Lessons (and Quizzes, and Surveys) do have this ability to lead the user along from action to action.

Hope I understand this correctly.  If not, I'm sure Joseph or somebody will clarify <s>.

>L<

ໃນການຕອບກັບຫາ Lisa Nicholls

ໂດຍ Karl Sumwalt -

So you are suggesting creating multiple Content Pages under 1 lesson.  This would clean up the Course's page.  One question: If the student wishes to review, say Content Page 3, is there a fast way for them to get there without adding Jumps to every page in the lessaon?  I want to make them spend x minutes on each content page before going to the next, but also allow them to easily review say the contents of the 3rd page.

ໂດຍ Lisa Nicholls -

Would you want a "Review" page at the end of the Lesson, with links to all pages?  Or would you like this on each page?

This is a bad time for me to experiment but I think a page like this is what a Contents page is supposed to be for.  Yes, it's a jump for each page in the lesson -- in that one page, whether it is a Table of Contents up front or a final Review page at the end of the lesson.

Meanwhile, perhaps you could use a *question* page instead of a Content page for your video.  I *think* it would work.  The question would be something like this (assuming this example is page 4:

If you're finished viewing this video, what do you want to do next?

•  Go to next page (page 5)
  •   Return to previous page (page 3)
  •   Return to page 2
  •   Return to beginning (page 1)

... IOW, as I understand it, you can associate each answer with a link.  And if the questions are clone-able, for each page you would just have to adjust the answers on that page slightly from the one before it, and change the embedded video in the "question" section.  Most of the links would stay the same from page to page, you'd just be adding.  If that would work, it seems like it would be efficient for content preparation.

Just a thought.  Again, I am not a moodle expert, so perhaps there is a much better way and somebody will jump in and explain here.

>L<

ໂດຍ Karl Sumwalt -

"Given this goal, why wouldn't you make each Topic consist of one Lesson, with a series of pages, each one of which is one of your current Lessons?"

It appears that the problem with this method is that we cannot guarantee the student has watched the video.  Using a separate Lesson for each, we were able to make spending x minutes on the previous lesson's pages a condition for previewing the next video.  These should initially be viewed in order as their total makes up a complete item.  They are simply broken down into logical chunks to make them more digestible and smaller. We do not have a problem with the thought of going back and re-viewing a video, but just want to be sure none are skipped and that each is given enough play time to actually be viewed. 

We have used "Dependent On" in each Lesson to track that the previous video was viewed for about the length of the video.  So if the first video is 4 minute 35 second, you could not view the next (as a lesson) unless you spent 4.5 minutes on the previous.  The last Activity is a Quiz, which you cannot take until you have spent enough time on the last video lesson in the sequence.

Is there a way to ensure enough time has been spent on each video page in a Lesson to allow for the complete duration of the video?

Karl

ໂດຍ Lisa Nicholls -

Not that I would know of (but then again I really do not know much <g> ). Maybe the people involved in this thread could give you some pointers or ideas, if you have not contacted them already.

You could also put this idea in as an enhancement request.  Since "jumps" between pages are kind of like internal dependencies, it seems reasonable that this time requirement could be implemented within a lesson. 

OTOH, I don't know how many people would agree that it's a good idea (and vote for the ER), since (as Chris C says in that thread) the "butts on seats" standard isn't really a guarantee of anything in terms of user attentiveness.  A video plays, that's all you know (in fact I'm not even sure that it would make any difference to the timing if the student *paused* the video for the entire period) -- does Moodle even have a way to prove that that browser page or tab is even frontmost (active/has focus) on the client side?.

IAC, thanks for explaining why you've done it this way. 

Meanwhile, you could still do something like what I suggested earlier (right?): Make your "lesson" page a question page rather than a content page, and use that as a way to streamline your creation of multiple review-jumps, since each answer provides the opportunity to create a jump.  I would think that cloning a full lesson and slightly editing it would actually work pretty well.

This time-dependency feature also gives me a question (which may be stupid, sorry): if they go back and review a previous video, does Moodle Lesson re-start the clock on that video?  IOW, if they viewed the requisite 4.5 minutes on a video, but go back to review it and spend only 2 minutes on the re-view, does Moodle see this as 2 minutes or 6.5 minutes from a dependency POV?

Regards,

>L<

ໂດຍ Karl Sumwalt -

I know the time dependency is not a perfect solution.  There is no Golden Egg.  Adobe's Connect suite has something that actually determines if the video was played for the entire length or just a portion. It gets the video length from the video itself too, but that costs a lot more and is not something we will be getting here! Plus, as already stated, it doesn't not mean the person actually paid attention.

As for your question about resetting the time for re-displaying the page, I do not think this is the case. I have redisplayed a page for much less than the dependent time and still been able to view the following pages which have the dependency.

Another question is, "Is the time spent on the page an aggregate time of all visits?" So if I visit the page 6 times for 10 seconds each, does it count as 1 minute for me?

Regardless, I know of no way to make sure the people are watching, and can only depend on testing to determine if they know the content. Having something flash up on the video telling them what to put in for a question won't even do it unless you disable playback functions outside Pause and Play.  I just have upper management asking if there is a way to know that they did more than open the page and the timer seemed to work for them.

Another problem with the jump to pages is that some of these videos ttal an hour in all.  We want the student to be able to view 1 or 2 today, more the next time they are in, until completion.  If we jump to pages inside a lesson activity, then navigating to the one you have not seen yet becomes difficult.  Using individual activities gives the user a bookmark to show where they have been. I think I will just have all the jumps go to thecurrent page and make them a "Top" button.  not that we need one, but what else can I do without hacking code to remove the required nature? I amy also look at the Book plugin.

Karl

Karl

ໂດຍ Lisa Nicholls -

Sure.  I thought I made it clear in my last answer that I understand your using individual activities, given the requirements that you outlined.  I was just thinking out loud about whether upper management's requirements are actually being met by this Lesson feature, or whether they're just appeased for the moment -- I don't know if the Book module will be a better fit but FWIW I'm glad you're still looking into it.

Meanwhile, I still think my suggestion of using question pages, rather than Content pages, even with multiple activities/one per video, is pertinent because the jumps for each answer could actually have value and wouldn't be difficult to do. 

(Additionally, if upper management wants to make sure that they have spent time viewing the video, it wouldn't hurt to have a question page for each video in which they have to manifest some understanding of the material -- but that's a separate point.) 

If you don't like the idea, you don't.  Sorry I couldn't help.  Good luck! ຍິ້ມ

>L<