Unenroll user and remove all user data

Unenroll user and remove all user data

by Alan Cherwinski -
Number of replies: 3

When a manually enrolled learner is unenrolled from a course what happens to the user data - forum posts, quiz results etc?

Is what happens different between 1.9 and 2.X ?

Are there any setting or configuration that can be used to control what happens when a learner is unrolled. We would like to remove all user data for learners that are early dropouts. The courses in question are independent study with continious intake and managing the user data and reports is becoming a challenge. I don't want the teacher to have to deal with the extra forum posts etc. The learner data could remain in the database, but just not clutter up the course management.

Thank you for any best practice advice more experienced institutional can provide.

Alan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Cherwinski

Re: Unenroll user and remove all user data

by Ian Tasker -

Hi Alan,

Yes there is a major difference 1.9 and 2.x. In 2.x all user data is now purged when a user unenrols. It does become an issue when students move from class to class and back again as all there previous submission/grades are removed. In 1.9 a student would reappear on reenrolment.

In reply to Ian Tasker

by Alan Cherwinski -

Thank you Ian,

Are there best enrollement and tracking practices used by institution that have a continuous intake of learners? I can see that enrollments should only be the currently active learners, but that admins will want to maintain an a history of the learner activity.

Are there two layers of user data - one that which appears in the course while a learner is enrollmed and another independent data record when the learner completes or is un-enrolled?

Thanks

In reply to Alan Cherwinski

by Ian Tasker -

I am not aware of any documented best practice regarding enrolment methodology as this very institution specific 

we wrote our own enrolment plugin which allowed unenrolment without remove the user data, you would need something similar plus grader/admin reports to show the historical user grades for a course. 

Course based reports only show data for the current enrolments.