UX input wanted

UX input wanted

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Here are some related usability issues in the quiz, from the student's point of view:

1. Do you have any comments on this proposal, which I am going to be implementing very soon.

2. There is a related issue where a quiz might naturally be considered to be 'Finished' even though technically more attempts are allowed. See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=189835. In this case, it might be appropriate to provide a 'Back to the course' link, as well as, and a bit more promenant than, the Re-attempt quiz link. (We may still wish to allow the student to re-attempt. For example, we may want them to return to the quiz as a revision aid at the end of the course.)

3. There is a question of whether the summary page at the end of the quiz attempt is always a good idea. In particular, is it really needed for one-page quizzes. Related to this, should there be an explicit 'Save' link/button somewhere on the attempt page, mainly to reassure students? (Since answers are saved automatically when you navigate to another page of the quiz.)

Can you make any practical suggestions about these issues?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: UX input wanted

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

Looks like your doing some interface testing, rather than any full blown UX.

Best input i can give you is test with users. Get yr laptop out, download silverback and go see some content editors & font end users.

Have a script of tasks you want them to perform, don't lead or tell them what to do.

Ask (without clicking) things like where they would expect to go to do something - what they would expect to happen. Then get them to actually do it and explain what they see (what actually happens).

Ask if behaviour matched expectations - what was good/bad about it - if/how it could be made easier for them.

You might get a fairly clear steer from 3-5 5min sessions, or it might need a few more! 

good luck, and glad to see this being considered smile

In reply to Stuart Lamour

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, I already know generically how to run a usability test. I was rather hoping for something more specific.

I am fairly sure that what I am proposing will work in the OU context, because it is largely based on what we know already works in OpenMark. However the OU is only one small part of the Moodle world. Would be nice to get some input from other types of Moodle user.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

The OU is lucky enough to have one of the most varied behavioral cohorts in the world. I'm pretty sure you can find users to match a huge variance of needs and ability. 

Testing with the these users you can access easily might be as good place to start as any!