Teachers and group forum notifications

Teachers and group forum notifications

by Vicky Hague -
Number of replies: 2

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere, any help gratefully received!

I have a course with 3 teachers, and students placed in 3 groups. A teacher has been added to each group. The students are using a group forum to collaborate on an assignment - this is set up as a single forum with separate group mode. Separate groups are also set in the course settings. The problem is that teachers are receiving email notifications of forum postings from students in the other groups as well as their own, which they find too much.

I've tried various options including 'forcing' group settings at the course level and disabling the 'access all groups' capability for teachers, but to no avail.

Is there any way to prevent the unwanted notifications being sent to teachers? We'd like to avoid unsubscribing the teachers from the forum, or disabling their email notifications altogether.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vicky Hague

Re: Teachers and group forum notifications

by Matthew Miller -

As far as I know (from experimenting myself, not from knowing the code), teachers are automatically able to receive _all_ forum posts when subscribed.  Group settings only affect the student accounts.

You might try making some of them non-editing teachers (they can grade/assign/comment etc but not make changes to the course nor course format) and see if that changes the result; that's one thing I haven't yet tried.

In reply to Matthew Miller

Re: Teachers and group forum notifications

by Vicky Hague -

Thanks Matthew - unfortunately I've just tried this and non-editing teachers can still see notifications from students in other groups. I'm wondering whether creating a custom role would work - i.e a student role so that the group settings work, but with certain capabilities switched on to enable them to grade assignments etc.. Another option could be to have three separate forums, and just subscribe the teacher to their particular forum?