Trouble with Noticeboard formats in 2.1.1

Trouble with Noticeboard formats in 2.1.1

by Doug Cullen -
Number of replies: 11

When I've added the noticeboard format to my 2.1.1 installation I get the following error when running cron

<b>Fatal error</b>:  Cannot redeclare callback_nb_uses_sections() (previously declared in /home/dcullen7/public_html/testnhs/course/format/nb/lib.php:33) in <b>/home/dcullen7/public_html/testnhs/course/format/nbact/lib.php</b> 

I really hope that this can be fixed since the Noticeboard is poerfect for my use.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Cullen

Re: Trouble with Noticeboard formats in 2.1.1

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm Lots of plugins were developed for v1.9.x that have not been updated for v2. In most cases the original developer has moved on and is no longer involved in a Moodle so has not maintained their plugin. It is unlikely that this group of plugins will be upgraded to be usable in v2 unless someone with a little coding experience takes it up and revamps it to suit the Moodle 2 environment. There are a group of plugins that are listed in Moodle Tracker that people would like to be upgraded and some are in the process of being done, buit it might be a while before they are ready.

Right now, there is a plugin that might be useful for you, the Meta-Activities-Noticeboard that might help you out.  

In reply to Doug Cullen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I fixed all this in my version of Noticeboard. It's a simple typo...perhaps due to the original author not being familiar with Moodle 2.x.x notation.

I've attached a zip file containing the updated "nb" folder.

You will need to replace the old version of your "Noticboard" folder with this new one.

Once in place i would recommend that you go to Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

This will get rid of all the old cache associated with the old version.

Refresh your screen with Ctrl + F5 and you will hopefully have no more Error messages accociated with the Noticeboard now.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Doug Cullen -

I love the way that problems get solved here

Thanks

In reply to Doug Cullen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Doug,

Let me know if you are still experiencing problems as the other group of Noticboard type formats by Marty are all faulty to some degree. I've fixed those too so if you want the others just let me know and I'll zip them up for you and attach them here for you.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Rop -

Hi Mary!

I would love some course formats, I'm looking for something specifeic we talked about it before, I need one that sends the students to their assigned course.

By the way, how do I install the Noticeboard?

Thank you!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ross Manson -

Anybody having luck with Noticeboard format in 2.3? Very broken for me - just an empty page... the course effectively "disappears".

I assume it's something to do with API changes.

I've tried both the original 2.0 one from the MAN formats download, and Mary's updated version.

In reply to Ross Manson

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Ross,

Indeed it will be because of the API changes in core for 2.3. It can take a little while to adapt the code.

Are you looking for a column grid type section layout because my format 'Collapsed Topics' supports a column grid functionality - please see 'Columns' under the 'Structure descriptions' section on http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Collapsed_Topics_course_format#Structure_descriptions ? Or do you need something like that but without the toggles?

Cheers,

Gareth
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ross Manson -
Thanks for the response, Gareth.

As brilliant as I think your format is - and I intend to implement it on our shiny new 2.3 instance - I'm really looking for either:

a. Centre blocks support in courses which is theme independent - à la the My Moodle page, which would allow the news block to be placed top and centre.

or

b. The noticeboard format much as it was in 1.9. Many of our teachers use it, as some of our (distance-based) K-12 students have a tendency to not notice/ignore new postings, despite subscriptions etc.

I guess patience is the key. Keep up the great work, by the way.

Regards

Ross
In reply to Ross Manson

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Ross,

No worries and thank you. I'm currently working on a performance enhancement for CT. Any feedback appreciated.

Do you have a copy of the 1.9 version of the 'Noticeboard format' to attach here as the download links are broken? Then I could have a look and see how difficult it would be to produce a 2.3.x version - having done the same process for the Grid format. I have Mary's version from above for 2.2 to try.

Cheers,

Gareth
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ross Manson -
Gareth

Attached.

Regards

Ross
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ross Manson

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Ross,

Thank you.  Looking at the code it does not look too difficult.  Just the latest post of the news forum followed by topics as per normal.  Is this what you want for Moodle 2.3?  If so I could knock up an 'alpha' version in about 2-3 hours (code + test).

Cheers,

Gareth