Impossible to log in

Impossible to log in

by Dale Bee -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

Anyone experiencing login problems?. When I log in, the page just cycles to the login page. I've tried fixing it using the steps in the faq and in this forum, somehow its not working. I know this is not a unique problem. But anyone have another solution? I have both versions 1.0.9 and 1.0.8 installed on my server.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Bee

Re: Impossible to log in

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You'll need to provide more information.

What have you got in your config.php settings?

Which steps have you tried to fix it?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Martyn Overy -
The only problem I had with Moodle is when Firewall settings prevented a login, and an endless loop to the login page occured. This has been documented elsewhere. Check the firewall settings, for example in ZonePro. You could try removing firewall (briefly!) just to confirm that it is this that is causing the problem.
In reply to Martyn Overy

by David Delgado -

Very common problem. Very easy solution in Moodle 1.0.9: enter as admin, go to the menu on your left, Configure variables, secureforms = NO. No need to tell every user to stop their firewall or change their settings. Just change the configuration of your server. I think this only works for Moodle version 1.0.9, since I believe that version 1.0.8 did not have the secureforms option. Anyway, you can easyly upgrade from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9; if so, make sure that you follow the instruccions given in the documentacion.

It is a very annoying default option in Moodle. I think it would be much better if secureforms = NO by default, to avoid that problem. Many organizations are loosing lots of users because of this. The potential user just tries to get into Moodle and when they cannot login they just say "This does not work at all, let's look for something better". I think that even moodle.org has change the default secureforms option to NO (you won't have any problems with firewalls). wink

By the way, I think that this question shoud be in the "Installation FAQ", since you can find it many times in the forums.

In reply to David Delgado

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I agree, David.

I've changed the default setting in CVS (for the next release) and added a FAQ:

http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=faq.html&sub=nologin
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Charles Harris -

Martin,

I'm a new user of Moodle, and just encounter a problem.  I cannot login as admin.  The system returns me to the course listings.  The system stopped working when I accidently transferred the index.php file from the wrong directory.  The file is a Moodle file however I cannot login now.  No other parameters were changed.  Running on IIS and Win2000 server. 

Tell me what you think.

In reply to Charles Harris

by Jason Mitchell -

I was having a similar problem with adminsitrative logins.

I am running moodle 1.1.1 on a Windows 2K Server (SP4) with IIS 5, MySQL v323, and PHP 423. Anytime I tried to login in as administrator (only user in database aside from guest), I was simply cycled back to index.php with no successful login.

At fist I thought this was might be a browser/cookie incomatbility, but I get the same results under Mozilla as I do IE.

I ensured that I am not using secure forms.  Still no luck.

Then, I checked my php.ini and I noticed that session.auto_start and session.use_cookies were off. I enabled them, restarted IIS, and *poof* all was happy.

This might want to be inserted into the faq.

by Terry Poteat -

Thank God for this forum! I had a student, distance student, who could not login. I tried everything and to no avail, until I changed one simple variable in the admin and now all is at rest!

Moodle is a great system and we are glad to be able to be a participlating institution!

Terry Poteat, D.M.A.

President, Eastern College of Music

http://moodle.easterncollege.us

by Terry Poteat -

Thank God for this forum! I had a student, distance student, who could not login. I tried everything and to no avail, until I changed one simple variable in the admin and now all is at rest!

Moodle is a great system and we are glad to be able to be a participlating institution!

Terry Poteat, D.M.A.

President, Eastern College of Music

http://moodle.easterncollege.us

In reply to Dale Bee

by lee simons -

If you're running version 4.1.2 of PHP then that could be the problem.  This version of PHP has problems with session handling.

Lee