site-wide gradebook?

site-wide gradebook?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Is it at all possible for an admin (or teacher with appropriate permissions) to have access to a kind of "sitewide gradebook"?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: site-wide gradebook?

by Matt Ladwig -

As an admin, you should be able see any students overview report, which shows all of their grades.

In an earlier version of 1.9, teachers were allowed to see that same overview report, but someone unfortuantely took away that option (our school loved and needs it), which should be a personal option for each individual school.

In reply to Matt Ladwig

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks, Matt, but... where exactly can I view that "students overview report" when logged in as admin, on the Admin front page?

Joseph

by Matt Ladwig -

While logged in as an administrator, go to a course and click on grades, overview report, then on a students name in the drop down menu on the right. This should give you a students current grades.

There should be a faster way in Moodle, like maybe a link in their profile.

In reply to Matt Ladwig

by Matt Ladwig -

I would like to see an option where teachers can see all student grades in the overview report. There at least should be an administrative option to allow it. Not all schools would want this option, but many need it. Better yet, I would love to see it in the student profile.

Moodle grades in student profile.

In reply to Matt Ladwig

by Joseph Rézeau -

Matt: "While logged in as an administrator, go to a course and click on grades etc."

I'm afraid you have not understood my question. I was asking whether there was a place for an admin to view all of the students' grades in all of the courses they are enrolled in, from the Admin page, i.e. not going into each course individually. That's what I meant by a "site-wide" gradebook.

I take it that this feature does not exist in Moodle.

Joseph

by Matt Ladwig -

How many students would you want to see at one time?

In reply to Matt Ladwig

by Joseph Rézeau -

by Matt Ladwig -

If you click on any course they are in and follow the instructions that I put above, you can see all of their grades. To see what courses they are in, just go to Participants and search for their name. Click on their name and you can access their courses by clicking on a course.

I know, there should be an easier way... Moodle is not always the most user friendly system.

If those instructions are not clear enough, let me know I will write it down step by step.

Another way is to log in as the student (by going to their profile and clicking on 'log in as'), go to Grades and view thier overview report. When you are done, just log back into your profile by clicking on your name at the bottom of the screen. smile

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Joseph, in my view that's one of the two most important features that's missing from Moodle!

One way to get around it is to use the excellent Configurable Reports block by Juan Leyva. Add the block to your Moodle front page and then create a SQL Report report in the block. Add a sql query similar to this (only tested in MSSQL) and you'll have a "site-wide gradebook report" for the signed-in user:

SELECT
u.firstname + ' ' + u.lastname AS 'Name',
cc.name AS 'Course Category',
CASE
   WHEN gi.itemtype = 'course'
   THEN c.fullname + ' Course Total'
   ELSE gi.itemname
END AS 'Exam Name',
ROUND(gg.finalgrade,2) AS 'Mark',
CASE
   WHEN ROUND(gg.finalgrade,0) >= gi.gradepass
   THEN 'Passed'
   ELSE 'Failed'
END AS 'Outcome',
LEFT(DATEADD(ss,gi.timemodified,'1970-01-01'),11) AS 'Exam Date'
FROM prefix_course AS c
JOIN prefix_context AS ctx ON c.id = ctx.instanceid
JOIN prefix_role_assignments AS ra ON ra.contextid = ctx.id
JOIN prefix_user AS u ON u.id = ra.userid
JOIN prefix_grade_grades AS gg ON gg.userid = u.id
JOIN prefix_grade_items AS gi ON gi.id = gg.itemid
JOIN prefix_course_categories AS cc ON cc.id = c.category
WHERE gi.courseid = c.id
AND u.id = %%USERID%%

The main problem with this solution is that you can only get a report for the signed-in user. A teacher can't do a Sitewide Gradebook Report for his/her students. Perhaps there's some way to specify an array of users for %%USERID%%, but I haven't managed to do that...

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Scott McLeod -

Have you ever figured this out?  We need a site-wide gradebook in our system for credit-tracking...

(ie; the ability to see users down the left column and a selectable list of courses across the top, or even just all courses.)