Browser problems with crossword?

Browser problems with crossword?

by Debbie McDonald -
Number of replies: 20

Does someone know if soemthing has to be enabled in a browser in order to get the Hot Potatoes crossword puzzle to work? We have some staff members who can access the test fine and others who can not. All are using IE.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie McDonald

Re: Browser problems with crossword?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What version of Moodle are you using? What module are you talking about: HotPot? QuizPort? Are you sure you are using the latest version of the module? Do you have problems with all crosswords or just one? If it is just one, can you attach it to your next post to this forum? Can you view the crossword in other browsers? What can the people who can not see it see on their compuer screens: a white screen? just a header and footer? buttons that don't respond? What theme are you using?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Debbie McDonald -

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your quick response!! I think we have narrowed this down to some type of security setting within the browser (?). All of the HotPot Crosswords seem to work fine for some staff who are using IE; while others are not able to access the answer field -- even if all of the staff are located within the same office. So it has to be some sort of security setting that is blocking them? Although I can't figure out what.

• HotPot module. Version 2010080323
  • All crossword puzzles are having the same problem
  • Other browsers:  Yes viewing in Firefox works fine. Some staff can view in IE while others are not able to.
  • They see everything just fine, the problem is when they click on the puzzle nothing happens. The answer field does not appear.
  • We are using the Splash theme.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Debbie, please ask the owners of the misbehaving IE software what version of IE they are using. Also, could you train then on how to get IE to report JavaScript errors, and then let us know what it any JavaScript errors they get when viewing one of the crosswords. Finally, could you confirm that these IE users are only having trouble with crosswords. They can view and interact with JCloze, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz without a problem, can they?

by Debbie McDonald -

Hi Gordon,

Here are the errors we are getting:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)
Timestamp: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:58:22 UTC

Message: 'document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an object
Line: 1076
Char: 4
Code: 0
URI: http://somewhere.com/moodle/mod/hotpot/attempt.php?id=565

Line: 1218
Char: 3

Line: 1218
Char: 3

I am checking on the other quizzes now.

(Edited by Gordon Bateson - replaced actual server name in URLs with a generic one - original submission Wednesday, 2 November 2011, 04:59 AM)

by Debbie McDonald -

Hangman is not working. Everytime I click on a letter a new word pops up and tells me I have 6 more tries.

Drag and Drop not working

Mix-up sentence exercise is not working.

I have to have one of the content experts look at this but it doesn't look like we are having luck with any of them.. yikes.

by Gordon Bateson -

It sounds like the HotPot module on your site is not installed correctly. I would be happy to come and install it for you if you send me the server access details. Please send them by direct email to:

• gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

by Gordon Bateson -

This message indicates you are not using the most recent version of the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x, or you have not completed the upgrade by logging in as Moodle admin and navigating to Site administration -> Notifications

You can download the latest version of the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x from here:

by Debbie McDonald -

Thank you Gordon, beyond words. Can you point me to installation instructions?

by Gordon Bateson -

Debbie,
you install HotPot for Moodle 2.x "by hand" like this:

1. download the zip file containing the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x
  2. when you unzip the file you will find the following two main folders:
    • mod/hotpot
      put this folder at "mod/hotpot" on your Moodle web server
    • question/format/hotpot
      put this folder at "question/format/hotpot" on your Moodle web server
  3. login to Moodle as a Moodle administrator and the installation of the HotPot module should commence. If not, navigate to Settings -> Site administration -> Notifications

Gordon

by Debbie McDonald -

Thank you Gordon, this did not work sad

See Javascript error messages in attached file
(multiple occurrences of "HP is undefined")

Browser = Firefox 4

(Edited by Gordon Bateson - put error messages into attached text file - original submission Friday, 4 November 2011, 09:46 AM)

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you for trying that.

What happens if you clear the HotPot cache:

• Settings -> Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> HotPot -> Enable HotPot cache -> Clear HotPot cache

by Debbie McDonald -

I'm getting a page not found error with that:

Not Found

The requested URL /training/moodle/mod/hotpot/utilities/clear_cache.php was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.17-0.dotdeb.0 with Suhosin-Patch mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.2 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 Server at dpaweb.hss.state.ak.us Port 80

by Debbie McDonald -

Here is one of the crossword puzzles. This one is not displaying at all now, not even in FireFox.

by Debbie McDonald -

Here are the settings.

by Debbie McDonald -

Yikes everything is blank now..

by Gordon Bateson -
The software is not installed correctly. Please let me come and fix it. Gordon

by Debbie McDonald -

by Gordon Bateson -

Debbie,

I was not able to access the URL, but I am glad we were able to talk on Skype, and look at your screen together and fix up the HotPot module so it would run on your Moodle 2.0 server as well as more recent versions of Moodle: 2.1 (stable) and 2.2 (development)

thanks for helping to improve the HotPot module!

best regards
Gordon