Incorrect penalty on simple calculated question in 2.1

Incorrect penalty on simple calculated question in 2.1

by Amir Ressaissi -
Number of replies: 5

We're using Moodle 2.1 and I'm having problems with the simple calculated question module. 

As seen in the picture below, even though I answered the question correctly, I still attracted a penalty of 10%. I have gone over the settings a million times, but I cannot seem to find any reason why this would happen. Please help!! This is becoming an increasing problem since my course relies heavily on these type of questions.

These are my settings for Unit handling:

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amir Ressaissi

Re: Incorrect penalty on simple calculated question in 2.1

by Lev Abramov -

The correct answer requires rounding it to TWO decimals - a condition which your answer has not fulfilled. Hence the penalty.

Let us know if rounding to two decimals has resolved the issue.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you are seeing MDL-28219, which was just fixed. Upgrade to the latest 2.1.2+ weekly build to get the fix.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Amir Ressaissi -

Yes this is exactly the bug I was encountering. Thanks for all the hard work to fix this. 

By the way, are there any pages that you could recommend which describe the different types of behaviours? For example when and how can students interact with hints? Can there be penalties associated with viewing hints? What is the difference between adaptive and interactive with multiple tries?

The ? blurb by the 'How Questions Behave" section of the Quiz Settings is a little vauge.  

Thank you

by Amir Ressaissi -

Oh....as a side note.

It seems like I have to preview a question to change the behavior of that individual question. It would really help to be able to set this when writing/editing the question.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

For documenting the different behaviours, I guess the best description is this bit in the developer docs: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Question_Engine_2:Overview#New_concept:_Question_behaviours. Someone should copy that to the user docs, and then edit it to make it better.

Alternatively, just experiment with different behaviours in the preview window to work out what they do.

There is no such thing as 'the behaviour of an individual question'. Any question can be used with any behaviour at the point where the question is attempted.