HotPot error upgrading to Moodle 2.1: Unknown column "grade"

HotPot error upgrading to Moodle 2.1: Unknown column "grade"

by Sarah Wood -
Number of replies: 14

I have been trying to follow the installation/upgrade directions for 2 days-- doesn't seem like it should be this hard, the furthest I have gotten is the error message shown in the attached screenshot

We just had Siteground.com upgrade us to Moodle 2.1.1, not realizing that the Hotpot module was an issue. It is a very heavily used module and I need to get it working. Would sure appreciate some help.  I have downloaded the latest version of the hotpot module. Tried the module install / file upload from both a an iMac and a windows XP workstation.  The directions posted above seemedvery clear I just can't get past the dll error.

Thank you so much!

Attachment ddl.sql.error.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Wood

Re: HotPot error upgrading to Moodle 2.1: Unknown column "grade"

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Sarah,
thank you for reporting this error.

I haven't upgraded a Moodle site from 1.9 to 2.x for a while, so I was surprised to hear about the problems you are having, but when I tried an investigative upgrade I got similar messages surprise

I have fixed the HotPot upgrade script to be more careful and the errors are now gone. I was able to successfully upgrade from Moodle 1.9 to 2.x.

Please could you download the latest version of the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x from the link below and retry your upgrade.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Sarah Wood -

Wow! thank you for the quick response. I did try to download the hotpot file. It was listed as quizport and when I tried install it into our moodle. I got the message that the file was outdated or defective. (see attached screenshot).

I appreciate your help in figuring this out!

Attachment quizport.moodle.2.jpg
In reply to Sarah Wood

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh silly me, I linked to the wrong thing blush - sorry about that!

Please delete the QuizPort module from your Moodle 2.x site.

I have corrected the HotPot link in my earlier post online, and for convenience, here it is again.

Gordon

by Sarah Wood -

HI Gordon! Thank you! We got Hotpot updated!

I had one of my users go in to open an activity and got the following message:

"I can now see the hotpot in the activities but when I opened the actvity I
got this error message.

'Serious configuration error detected, please notify server administrator.

To operate properly, Moodle requires that administrator changes PHP
settings.

session.auto_start must be set to off.

This setting is controlled by editing php.ini, Apache/IIS
configuration or .htaccess file on the server.'"

Our session.auto_start is already set to off.

Thank you for your help!!

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Sarah Wood -

More info---

Creating a new activty works!! I have teachers doing the cabbage patch happy dance in the halls (ok, not really but they are pleased). We are wondering if opening the old files and resaving them would work --I will have one check that out.

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Gordon Bateson -

Glad to hear that the HotPot upgrade has successfully completed approve

If you look at Site administartion -> Server -> PHP info, and search for "auto_start" on that page, what do you find?

Gordon

by Sarah Wood -

It says auto_start local value is "off" and Master value is "off"

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Gordon Bateson -

Hmm, Moodle seems to think it is on ... very odd ?!

by Sarah Wood -

I looked at every PHP setting I could find on my control panel for the website. Nothing indicates auto_start is on.... at least we can make new activities and everyone is happy about that smile Thank you so much for all your help!!

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Gordon Bateson -

Sorry to ask a silly question, but are we sure that the person who saw the error is on the same Moodle site as you? Can they reproduce the error? Can you reproduce the error?

If the answers to these questions are YES-YES-YES then we can proceed as follows to try to force Moodle and PHP to play nicely together.

This error message comes from "lib/setuplib.php", in the setup_validate_php_configuration() function (around line 638)

if (ini_get_bool('session.auto_start')) {
    print_error('sessionautostartwarning', 'admin');
}

So although you and I believe that PHP info on your your Moodle site is telling us that session.auto_start is "off", it has somehow been switched on by the time this bit of PHP runs.

You could try adding the following line of PHP code to your Moodle config.php file:

@ini_set('session.auto_start', '0');

Put it right very near the top of the file, just after the "<?php" line

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a file called ".htaccess" (Moodle Docs: htaccess) in the Moodle scripts folder on your server (i.e. the same folder that contains your Moodle config.php file), and put the following line in the ".htaccess" file:

php_flag session.auto_start 0

If that doesn't work, create a file called "php.ini" in your Moodle folder and put the following line in it:

session.auto_start = 0

If that doesn't work, please contact your server administrator, or your web host help desk, and show them the message that Moodle showed you, and insist that Moodle thinks session.auto_start is on, but you want to force it off.

if any of the above methods works, please let us know smile

regards
Gordon

by Sarah Wood -

Where do I find the Moodle.config.php file? or the Moodle Scripts file? Thank you!

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Gordon Bateson -

Do you know where Moodle is on your server? That's the Moodle scripts folder. It is also where you will find config.php.

by Gordon Bateson -

Sarah,

on re-reading this thread, I have realized that probably what is happening on your server is that *every* folder needs it's own php.ini file. The folders that were already there, such as the folder with the script that shows PHP info, function OK because they already have a php.ini, but the new folder, i.e. "mod/hotpot", does not have a php.ini.

Therefore, I think you need to put copy a php.ini file from another Moodle folder, e.g. from the "mod" folder, into the "mod/hotpot" folder.

That should do it!
Gordon

In reply to Sarah Wood

by Sarah Wood -

Ooops. Missed this reply I will try these things