Just compiled a short list of open source software for elearning

Just compiled a short list of open source software for elearning

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

I've compiled a list of the most popular and useful open source software packages for elearning. I'm probably preaching to the converted here...

http://blog.matbury.com/2011/10/19/open-source-software-for-elearning/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Just compiled a short list of open source software for elearning

by Mark Sanders -

Hi, Matt.  Where's bigbluebutton in your list?  If what I've heard about it is true, it should be a major player in elearning.

In reply to Mark Sanders

Re: Just compiled a short list of open source software for elearning

by William Hamilton -

I use bigbluebutton (BBB) it on my site to try and convince the administration to use Moodle; I have a hosted site apart from the institution I work at. They've been trying to make a decision about an LMS for some time... any how, things like BigBlueButton and Openmeeting are standard plugins with Moodle 2.1.2 (many more plugins std). The catch is, you must point to the server where BBB and/or OM are installed or located. Recap, plugins already installed to enable Moodle functionality-- vendor opensource software (both BBB and OM opensource) installed and pointed to (on plugin settings in Moodle).

I'm in Malaysia on +8 timezone but could arrange a demo; I believe you can go to bigbluebutton.org and see/use the demo from there.

BBB is awesome with it's presentation view, whiteboard, chat (all & private), video sharing and conference/listen (VOIP); the VOIP I believe is a Freeswitch technology and requires some thinking/server to dial in and have a ID, etc. There appears to be little "overhead"; I did a demo using a Celcom Broadband and the other guy Streamyx and it worked fine!

Openmeeting is BBB on steroids (16, 50, 150 people modes) for conferences, meetings and webinars...

Hope this helps?