Voice chat in Moodle

Voice chat in Moodle

by Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz -
Number of replies: 40

There appears to be some interest into voice chat, but I understand that no-one has been able to tackle the challenge yet. Has anyone integrated voxwire or a similar program into moodle? Yes it is not free but it appears to work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz

Re: Voice chat in Moodle

by Theo Stone -
Actually, I'm very interested in voice integration. I think the open source h.323 products such as OpenPhone and the OpenH323 reflector can lend themselves to being integrated into Moodle.

Any programmers out there willing to give it a whirl?

Cheers, Theo Stone
In reply to Theo Stone

I had a brief look at OpenH323 reflector. If you have a chance have a look at www.voxwire.com they not just offer voice communication, but in addition the students can see and follow what ever is on the facilitators screen. I see this as a great tool to introduce a topic, discuss options for an assignment, brain storming, the list is endless. I think it would add a personal touch to online training. If we could find an open source version .... all the better.

Yours Lori

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Lori and Theo,

Yes, there is one active project to integrate voice into Moodle.  Please check the topic started by Francoise Blin in the forum, Voice Applications, in the Moodle for Language Teaching course.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5664

Cheers,
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Thanks Don

I had a look at Francoise Blin's project, it is great project where students can participate in a forum using voice instead of written communication.

What I am looking for is real time communication see my reply to Theo

Cheers Lori

by Don Hinkelman -
>>What I am looking for is real time communication...

Me too.  And that is exactly what I meant.  Francoise's project is based on a voice technology core called Gong--which is the only technology which has been released for opensource (actually not GPL, the Gong code developers released the ver. 1.3 code directly to her project for use with Moodle). 

I believe this technology is the core be used for four voice applications (correct me if I am wrong) ....
  1. Voice annotation
  2. Voice boards
  3. Voice chat
  4. Voice mail
See the discussion on Wimba related to this.

While the first application we will see is voice boards, the rest should follow on that.  If you can collect resources and energy to extend Blin's MoodleVoice project to chat and conferencing, that would be wonderful.  Right now, no other open source voice technology is out there, according to Martin.  

(actually, I forgot to mention the MoodleSkype module--have you tried that?)

Re: Voice chat and open source software

by Theo Stone -
Dear Don:

Right now, even as we speak, I'm running Openmcu on my Linux box, which is a real time VoIP reflector. While far from perfect, it allows for multi-party voice chats in multiple rooms. Rooms can be created on demand by the client. The client I've used with it is OpenPhone in Windows. It works good enough, from the point of view of proof of concept. I understand that someone has even developed an open source Java client that will work with Openmcu.

My dream would be to have the  Openmcu room created simultaneously with the opening of a Moodle  chat room. 

Cheers, Theo
In reply to Theo Stone

Re: Voice chat and open source software

by Don Hinkelman -
This is great news, Theo.  I will eagerly be watching for more developments with your experiments.  Are you planning to integrate Openmcu into Moodle yourself, or are you looking for other developers/programmers to do it?

Re: Voice chat and open source software - Skype

by Susanne Nyrop -
Last week, a Danish Moodle developer forum was started on the initiative of Jens Gammelgaard from Aarhus in Denmark. I was also asking for a voice tool integrated with Moodle , and it appears that Jens has released a Skype/moodle solution not long ago  -(probably the coming version 1.5 that is still beta).

I've forwarded this to our developers but we've not had time yet to check this on our server. He also suggested that we use the Skype text chat feature to complement the Skype chat that is slow in the update and not very stable.

Anyone in this forum with experiences using Skype plus Moodle?

yours

Susanne Nyrop,
Farum, Denmark

Network EducationWare (NEW)

by Dave Bethany -

You may all wish to look at NEW from Dr. Mark Pullen and George Mason University. It is a true, live, online classroom environment. Integrating voice with whiteboard, text chat, and lots more. I've been using it for years and it works great, at all connect speeds. I added it to my moodle course and the students were amazed. Plus, it is free for academic use.

http://netlab.gmu.edu

Dave

In reply to Dave Bethany

Re: Network EducationWare (NEW)

by W Page -
Hi Dave!

I think you may have addressed some of these questions before but I cannot locate the posts. If you could respond to these again, I would be very thankful.
  • Can I use NEW with a class of 35-40students being on at the same time with Moodle?
  • If NEW can handle this kind of load, what hardware & software (Other than Moodle or JAVA) should I have installed on a server to carry this kind of load?
  • If NEW cannot handle 35-40 students what is the maximum amount of students that it can handle.
  • When will v3.3 final be out?

Thanks in advance for your response.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Dave Bethany -

NEW can theoretically handle any number of participants. On a unicast model, it is 1 gigahertz system, 512 meg memory, 512 k of bandwidth per 25 participants. So, a 2 gig computer with 1 gig memory and 1 meg bandwidth will handle a unicast of 50 people.

Now, if you are using multicast addresses the requirements are substantially lower. If you add in video, then the requirements are raised.

Version 4 is out now, which includes lots of good features, including secure tunnel server, and whiteboard import from almost anything.

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dave,

Could you explain how you added it to your Moodle - was it an external link or did you integrate it more tightly?

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by AjnabiZ ... -

Dave, you said you have been using it.

Can we see it in action on your site?

In reply to Tim Allen

by Greg Lynch -
Hi Dave

I was wondering if you could repost the answer to Tim Allens question on how you added NEW to your Moodle.

Thanks

Greg
In reply to Dave Bethany

by Tim Wilson -

Thanks Dave,

I had a very quick look and it looks very interesting. I will try and find some time to play with it in the next few weeks.

Regards Tim

In reply to Tim Wilson

by Larry Shultz -
Im also interested in voice chat capability. What Im using now is something called Team Speak and Team Talk.
www.gotteamspeak.com
and
www.bearware.dk

Both operate almost like an IRC channel except that you can talk to each other. The Admin can set everyone to mute when they want etc. Both also open a text based chat window.
In reply to Dave Bethany

by valentina martino -
I'm experiencing some serious troubles with the installation of NEW,can someone help?
thank you all in advance

valentina
In reply to valentina martino

by Gina Bennett -
Hi Valentina, hi ANYBODY

Did you ever get NEW installed & working? It was one of my summer holiday projects to get NEW up & running but so far no luck. I have a Mandrake 10.1 distro, running xampp (Apache, MySQL, PHP combo) & have Moodle running with no problems. However, the documentation for NEW seems a bit thin & (from what I can tell) some of the install scripts refer to a directory structure that is not the same as what I downloaded. I would describe my skills as a 'low-intermediate' linux user.

Is there a kind soul out there who has got NEW to work on a linux system & wouldn't mind helping out a few of us less sophisticated users? My summer holiday is almost over!!!

Gina Bennett
In reply to Gina Bennett

by Mohamed alam -

Is anyone using Network Education Ware (NEW) software. can it be installed.

will it work please let me know

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hello Dave,
I am interested to integrate NEW into Moodle.
I understand that you have a lot of experience.
I shall be grateful if you could advise what I should read up and how I should proceed.
Thanks In advance

In reply to Dave Bethany

by mz mz -

hello people

we are so intrest in voice chatroom management and i read all the four about this ... and i was so intrested in NEW software that mr Dave told about but we want to know how can we add it to our sites in moodle or other if anybody can tell us ... and i saw that it is problem of all here so please help ...

before i leave ... i just wanna ask if any body test the glassroom its find on site

http://www.chatessentials.com/index.shtml

thank you

Mazen

with my respect

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hello, I am using a private labeled conference room I call AvWebCommunicator.  I have added it to one site at www.glendalebc.showmechrist.com .  Although this is not a total integration of voice with Moodle, It works very well.  It is a peer to peer solution with unlimited seating for a low monthly cost.  Of course it includes all the usual features like VOIP, Whiteboard, FollowMe Browser, Text Chat, File Sharing, and soon will include Desktop Sharing and a Phone Bridge. 

The Glendale Baptist Church site will facilitate live webcasting of a worship service and a web radio activity as well as the usual conferencing applications.

Clarence

Svar: Voice chat in Moodle

by Ove Bergersen -

Hi. Im wondering if anyone has tried to integrate Wengo in the chat module, or if anyone knows something about this program? They say it´s opensource. For me as a (norwegian) language teacher its also of interest to get synchronous audio and video communication in Moodle (if it is possible, of course - hope so!) 

Ove

by Kathleen Soden -

Hi

I am joining this forum in late October after 1.5 has been released. Can anyone advise if there was any conclusion on the introduction of interactive voice chat ?

Thank You

In reply to Kathleen Soden

Hi Kathleen

Julian Ridden has integrated voice chat into my website and we are currently testing the program.

Should you be interested, I would be happy to give you a guided online tour.

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi,

I would be interested in taking a look If it is Ok with you.

Regards

garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by birendra jayaweera -
i just need to ask you some questions regarding this software. would you help me with it.

by Karrie V -

I'd love to see this as well! 

~ Karrie

In reply to Karrie V

by nany khalid -

hello

I'm a new member there, so I hope you acceot me to be your freind.

by Ivan Labombarbe -

I too would be interested in looking at this solution.  We have been using Paltalk and inspeak outside of moodle.  This would be better.

Ivan Labombarbe

by Carlos Alexandre Fonseca -
Picture of Plugin developers
Flash chat can do that very easy, not only voice chat but video chat too

In reply to Carlos Alexandre Fonseca

by Marc Grober -
Sloodle is also available. SL is very popular with some and in order to satisfy some of my students we have had conferences in cafes there ;=} For myself, I sometimes find that one life is difficult enough to manage, let alone a second.....

by Mohamed alam -

Since dimdim is closed. Now which is the replacement for this. Please provide opensource video chat and video conferencing. 

Tried openmeetings from google. i am unable to install it.

In reply to Mohamed alam

by Sam Mudle -

Since dimdim is closed. Now which is the replacement for this. Please provide opensource video chat and video conferencing. 

Tried openmeetings from google. i am unable to install it.

You have many options, most of which are free:

1. Mikogo - Screensharing
  2. Vyew - Video/Chat/Screensharing/FileSharing
  3. Big Blue Button - Video/Chat/Screensharing/File Sharing But you'll need Linux or a Linux VPS server to host it.
  4. Skype Conference - Screensharing/Voice/Chat/Webcam

by Mohamed alam -

how do i install bigbluebutton software on windows xp.

please help me to install this. can it be installed as it has many dependencies

In reply to Mohamed alam

by Guido Gautsch -

Hi Mohamed,

BBB is Linux software, not Windows. 

You could try installing Linux on a separate partition of your Windows box to try it out, but if your windows runs on the same box but on Windows, it obviously won't work. 

Do you have a computer sitting around that is not being used? Install Ubuntu LTS 10.4 on it and use that. Alternatively, you could get a VPS. 

hope this helps,

Guido

In reply to Guido Gautsch

by Mohamed alam -

how to use sloodle with moodle. the installation steps dont help me.

please provide me the details