Using moodle to peer review in a different school.

Using moodle to peer review in a different school.

by Nick Stewart -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I am not even sure if this is possible but I like the idea of getting the students in one of my ICT classes to load their work up to Moodle and then for students in another school to review the work. My class would also review the work from that other school.

If you think this would be of interest, please let me know,

Regards,

Nick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Stewart

Re: Using moodle to peer review in a different school.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Nick - I think peer review is a great idea and all the more so when it is between pupils from different schools who don't know each other. I would imagine though that you'd have to think through the security issues pretty carefully first - whose Moodle would you use? Would the other school upload their work to yours and yours to theirs? Or would both parties be given accounts on each others'Moodles  - in which case, can you be sure that the pupils from the other school don't go wandering around or messaging other pupils not in the peer review classes? Or does that not matter? We have links with a Spanish and French school and we actually use a separate Moodle for it - networked to our own school Moodle -not essential but just another way around it.  I would be interested to hear how you intend to do it. (As I said I like the idea but I don't have any areas of responsiblity in my school enough to say we'll join in, sorry -just a mainscalermixed)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -

Errr... Mary, what's a "mainscaler". Google didn't help me. sad

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry Glenys- I made the word upsmile A teacher with no extra responsibilities (that a head of dept or deputy would) have be on the main pay scale-  so a main scale teacher is just a regular classroom teacher  > a mainscaler

In reply to Nick Stewart

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Nick,

I've used peer review activities a lot and I've found them particularly effective at helping to develop learners' analytical and critical thinking skills.

I think Moodle's the perfect LMS for this kind of collaboration. I've used the Workshop activity module but found it too complicated and cumbersome to be effective. I'd recommend looking at the peer review question type plugin in the Moodle.org plugins repository. This would require that all the participants have their own accounts on the same Moodle.

I hope this helps! smile