How are people doing practical skills assessments when delivering courses in moodle?

How are people doing practical skills assessments when delivering courses in moodle?

by Harrie Phillips -
Number of replies: 1

Hi there,

I deliver via distance education veterinary nursing training in Australia.  currently delivery all my theory in Moodle 2.1, with students also receiving a printed learners guide to assist them.

For the practical skills assessment part of the course they complete practical skills assessment sheets in their workplace and their workplace supervisor signs them off. These are then posted into me and placed into their file.

I was wondering if anyone is using or looking at using an a-portfolio system for this?

I essentially want  my students to be able to log in and look at the practical tasks they need to master. Select those they think they have mastered. This then lets their supervisor know (say as a daily digest), and the supervisor can log in, review the task the student selected, and then confirm that the student can perform it satisfactorily or not as the case may be. As the assessor I then can see this and mark the student of as completing that task. An added benefit would be requiring the student to perform and have the task verified multiple times.

I looked briefly at the mahara software but it doesnt seem to have this functionality and has a myriad of other functions I dont need.

Any suggestions, or ideas that you are currently using would be great. Happy to pay for a commercial option if it suits my needs.

Cheers,
Harrie.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harrie Phillips

Re: How are people doing practical skills assessments when delivering courses in moodle?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I'm not sure if this solution meets all your needs, but a simple solution might be simply to set each task up as an assignment (either a file upload or online text would be my suggestion, but this might vary according to the task) with a grading scheme that could include something like: A-Supervisor, B-supervisor, C-supervisor, A-assessor, B-assessor, C-assessor - or some other such system to show whether the task has been graded by the local supervisor or yourself as the ultimate assessor. The feedback section can also be used where you establish a protocol for the supervisors/assessor to use different colours e.g. red for supervisor, green for assessor.

If you allow reuploading and no deadlines, then students can go back and redo tasks as necessary.

The grading overview reports would then give you an overview of who has completed what and who it has been assessed by.

This is just an initial thought based on my limited knowledge of the assessment system built in to Moodle and without any of the possible plugins that may be of further use and can possibly be refined or replaced by anyone who has done anything like this themselves

HTH

Richard