create online portal

create online portal

by thulasi raman -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

Sorry. I don't know if this topic can be posted here or not.

My requirement is to create a sheet say an xcel or word document that allows students to access and fill in their login details. How does this need to be done in moodle?

How is the page structured - is it that each student will be able to view only his/her details or the entire sheet is seen by all students always. I actually want the confidentiality of the student details to be maintained. Can this be done - if so how?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to thulasi raman

Re: create online portal

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't think the forum module is the right place for this, but not sure which forum would be, probably http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=42.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but all moodle users (e.g. your students) have access to their own profile to fill in any details - and there are a variety of enrollment methods available to set up on the site depending on how you want the students to sign up in the first place.

All those user accounts are then available to the site administrator through the site administration -> users section. They can even be downloaded as ods, xls or csv files if needed. But as far as I know, once you have the information in a spreadsheet or word document, there is no straightforward way to show one student their own record while hiding all the others.

HTH

Richard

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by John Andrewartha -
The easiest way is to create a csv file with basic infomation. Username,first, last nameusername. Then feed it into Moodle. Students are then given the infomatin on where to login. They use the forgot password link to reset there passwords and fill in additional details. You need only distribute the Username and url. Plus instructions.
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The csv file option is probably the easiest way to doing what I think you want to do. Students do not access that file, you bulk enroll students and then the Teacher can enroll them into their courses. If you look at this documentation, AFAIK, it is the same for Moodle v1.9 and v2.x, but I have not yet tested it..mmm wait brb...

EDIT: Yes it does work the same way, the interface is different, but the csv file is the same. The options available for v2.x are better, more accomodating. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by thulasi raman -

Hi,

The students have already been given accounts and enrolled into courses. I need students to give me their id (usrname/pwd) details for some other application. I don't want students to send me mails having their details. In that case I would be receiving close to 80-90 mails.

I need a mechanism by which students should directly login to moodle with their accounts and fill the details which I want. I don't know how the csv file option will be useful to me.

by John Andrewartha -

First.  We have all spent hours telling our students not to divulge there account details.

Basic personal security will probably get you a backlash.

What is the other application that you want to create new accounts on?   

In reply to John Andrewartha

by thulasi raman -

I want to do a screen sharing session using Teamviewer with students located remotely . To access their systems I will need their Teamviewer login and pwd. I want these details to be updated/uploaded by the students in moodle .

by John Andrewartha -

It sounds like you want to have your students share either an application or documents.

Developing it a little it sounds like one of my very early distance education classes.

So as to not compromise students login details the following may be a long term better solution.

BBB, OpenMeetings, these are flash based conferencing open source packages that have, whiteboards, VoIP, web cam, record session, Moodle plugins and the all important desktop shareing.  You need your own server, but setting up is quiet easy.

Payed services that give the same also in flash, WizIQ, reasonably priced.  Elluminate, Java based, not so cheap.  Still with all the above features.

Where there is a Moodle plugin, Moodle handles the authentication for you.

Cheap no cost alternative, Google+, using the extended chat has access to Google Docs, no screen share.  Webcam and Voip plus can create and share docs.   No Moodle plugin.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

It would not, not in this circumstance, this is very different that I had thought you meant. In short, there is no group format tool that allows you to do what you want to do. This is not a use that Moodle has been put to before, AFAIK. 

However, you might want to set up an online text assignment, mm no that would be the same as emails.. mmmmm perhaps a forum, or a database, which version of Moodle you using? 

The database activity allows you to get students to enter data, but then can restrict them from seeing any other entries by setting the options to force them to make, say 100 entries, before they can read anyone else's entries. As they only have to make one entry, they should never see another person's entries. However, you may want to test this with a couple of students before committing to it. You have access to all entries and can export the file as a csv file and then open it in Excel... More information can be found at Database Activity Module Doc and if you look at both the Database Setting and Building Database pages, that should give you sufficient information to do what you need to. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Dan McGuire -

I will second Colin's suggestion to use the Database Activity Module with the large number of required entries before being able to view.