Course completion + hidden activities?

Course completion + hidden activities?

by Matt Fedorko -
Number of replies: 1

Hello all.

I am just in the process of intergrating the course and completion tracking abilities into my courses. I'm not really using it for any conditional behavior, more of a tracking/reporting feature for the students (they see what I'm asking of them) and for the instructors (which students have done what). 

I have noticed that the Grades report, on the the studen'ts side, will not show items that the instructor has hidden. For instance, if I have only 3 quizzes and 2 assignments un-hidden, out of a possible 4 each, they will only see the un-hidden ones in their Grader report.

The opposite is true with the activity/course completion. My main concern is with the Course Completion Block that lists X of Y items completed. 

Course completion status block

Two points:

1.) I think it is mildly confusing to the student to see a larger number of possible items than what is currently available for them to access. Furthermore, when they click "More details," they're presented with a list of every tracked item that will be made available to them throughout the class, including things that are hidden from them -- not very HIDDEN, are they? (They can't actually access them if they're hidden.)

My concern with that is that they'll see "Oh, I have 6 things to do in this course, where are they?" leading to mild frustration and confusion when 4 of them are hidden and mentioned nowhere else.

2.) My initial response to discovering this was to decide on a plan wherein I would add items to the list of things being tracked for completion every time I make a unit un-hidden. Besides being very annoying, it turns out you can't do this -- the completion settings are locked as soon as a student attempts them, and to unlock them requires erasing all attempt/completion data! This, by itself, is kind of annoying because what if you decide to delete an assignment or add a new one? But that's neither here nor there. 

In conclusion, I think the Completion Tracking feature should ignore hidden items in the same manner as the Grader report.

Is anyone aware if this is a bug or a feature?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Fedorko

Re: Course completion + hidden activities?

by mark skelton -

I have come across this issue today. Depending on the student there are optional topics that they may need to undertake. These are a grouping on them.

Thankfully the progress bar ignores these so the learner can see their progress but annoying that the course completion cant update this as well. 

Did you ever find a solution to this or a work around?