moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

by John Rop -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everyone, I'm trying to fix a big problam but I can't seem to find how to do it. 

If I enter my site from FireFox - everything is fine.

If I enter my site from Google Chrome - I can't seem to click the Log-in buttons on the top page.

If I enter my site from IE - I can't login at all!

How can I fix it, I want it to be suitable for every browser and be the same for them!

Iv'e tried to go on Deafult theme, and then it works.

Seems that the Aadvark theme doesn't fit with every Web browser, though I did make some changes in the Css core file, to make the Login on the top of the page align to the left instead of the right top side of the page.

Any help to fix the problam?

yours truly, John.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Rop

Re: moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

If you made changes to CSS and it is now not working in IE then you have an error in the CSS.

Better Validate the CSS with W3C CSS Validation Service HERE

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Rop -

Hi Mary!

thank you very much for helping me.

Iv'e used the service you recommended, I think it has everything to do with my problam.

I can't seem to understand though what exactly I need to change back.

Any suggestion? here's what I got:

202 #profilebar-innerwrap Property -moz-border-topleft-radius doesn't exist : 10px 10px
203 #profilebar-innerwrap Property -moz-border-topright-radius doesn't exist : 10px 10px
204 #profilebar-innerwrap Property border-top-left-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 10px 10px
205 #profilebar-innerwrap Property border-top-right-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 10px 10px
1019 div.yui3-menu.custom_menu_submenu .yui3-menu-content li a:hover, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menu-label-active, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menu-label-menuvisible, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menu .yui3-menu .yui3-menu-label-active, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menu .yui3-menu .yui3-menu-label-menuvisible, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menuitem-active .yui3-menuitem-content, .yui3-skin-sam .yui3-menu .yui3-menu .yui3-menuitem-active .yui3-menuitem-content, .yui3-menu-content li:hover, .profileoptions li:hover Value Error : background-color Parse Error setting:menuhovercolor
1022 a:hover, a:active Value Error : color Parse Error setting:menuhovercolor
In reply to John Rop

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

These just mean that the CSS is not CSS2 standard it's actually CSS3 so just ignore these. The ERRORS to look for are PARSE errors which can be caused by typing ; instead of : and putting this { insted of  this } or missing off one of these brackets altogether.

But if all is right...then I am not sure what you have done!!!

Can you ginve me a link to your site?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John and Mary,

one thing to check having moved the login to a different part of the header is that it's not now behind something else. I had a similar problem with a theme I was working on a few months ago, where FF would work and IE wouldn't (in terms of letting me click on something). What i found in the end was that the button I was trying to click - I think at the time it was one of the links in a profileblock I was using on the theme - was being overlapped by the transparent edges of a graphic in the header. Firefox was ignoring the transparent bit and letting me click the link, but IE had the graphic above the link and so would not let me click it.

I eventually solved the issue by adding a z-index value to the profileblock which raised it above the logo image.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

תשובה ל: Re: moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

by John Rop -

Hi Richard and Mary,

Thanks agian for helping me.

I think I have exactly what Richard has.

Richard, what exactly did you add to fix the problam? what do you mean a z-index value?

btw - Mary my site isn't up yet, it's on my localhost. when it would be up I would love to show you it. for now, trying to solve it with what richard does.

thank you!

In reply to John Rop

Re: תשובה ל: Re: moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

John,

z-index is a css property that can be applied to an object to raise or lower it (much like the move forward and move backward tools in something like Publisher) The higher the value the more forward an item will be. See here for more details.

However, while this would seem like a straightforward solution, items may need to have the position property set as well (see the link above) and this can throw out other css positioning and lead to more work than simply adding the z-index, so do take some caution in simply adding it!

I would highly recommend using something like firebug for FF or Developer Tools for IE (as FF is working the issue may not show up in firebug) to try to find out what (if any) items are actually in the way before using a z-index value.

HTH

Richard

PS - If you wish, it is possible to make a local host setup available for outsiders to help by signing up to a service such as dyndns. I have an old laptop separate from my main home network set up as my local host with a dyndns address for me to access from other places if needed. But do be aware of potential firewall/hacking issues and be aware of security if you do choose to do this.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: תשובה ל: Re: moodle on several Web-Browsers- on Aardvark Post It - Moodle 2.1 Fluid Them

by John Rop -

Hey Richard! how are you?

Still didn't understand how do I add a Z-Index to the profile bar..

sorry i'm such a newbie, I'm really trying, and it's seems I'm trying to do stuff that aren't normal with the moodle.

What file do I add it to? what is the code that I need to add a Z-Index?

By the way, can I make a defult code that will show the site the same in every web-browser?

Like the dimentions of the site changes if I use a bigger screen.

Thank you!

In reply to John Rop

by Mary Evans -

Hi John,

If you have not altered any CSS code then there is not need for you to add any.

If you are experiencing problems in Crome and IE then it could be the version of both browsers which are the problem.

Aardvark Post-It works in IE8 & IE9 (but you must make sure they are NOT in compatibility mode. Check this page out...it explains better than I could.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc848857%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Google Chrome is an Odd browser and some things just dont work. You need to make sure JavaScript is enabled on any browser...so check that too.

Have you got the lates version of Aardvark Post-It? I updated it last week.

http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_aardvark_postit

As for different screen sizes...Aardvark Post-It is a fluid theme so will resize to fit ANY screen size.

HTH

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Rop -

Mary! , your awesome, just to let you know smile

Your theme is amazing, I will update my theme soon, but is there a way not to change what i did on the css files one the theme and "upgrade" it?

by the way, It seems to be only on Chrome. so I'm good, I think.

thanks!

Cheers

John.