Essay response review formatting issue

Essay response review formatting issue

'mei a Max Monclair - 'aho
Number of replies: 17

In a lesson I've put together, we ask students to submit essay question responses to questions posed throughout the lesson. I have the "Allow student revierw" option checked so they can see their answers before submitting them. The problem is that the student's response appears in HTML code view, so that they see tags instead of formatted text, for example. Here's what it looks like:

code

This will become especially problematic if students add pictures, tables, etc. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, and this is a minor point, where can I change the verbiage "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor." We are not assigning grades for this lesson, only requiring that students look the lesson over. While I have a note to this effect in the intro to the lesson, I don't want to scare the students, and thus would like to say something like "Please continue".

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max Monclair

Re: Essay response review formatting issue

'mei a Joseph Rézeau - 'aho
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am not seeing this problem on my local test site running Moodle 2.0.5 (Build: 20111010).

It might be a theme issue. Try to switch to standard theme and report.

Plus I don't see the "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor." message displayed there. And we should not see those "teacher tabs" at the top. Are you in "student  role"? And there should be a "Next page" button at the bottom, not "Continue".

All this is weird.

Joseph

Attachment 13-10-2011 18-28-28.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

I am looking at this as an admin, but I also get it when I log in using a student account. The theme I'm using is Brick. After the usability and content testing phases are done, I will be developing a custom theme for this in order to match the rest of our website.

However, this does give me a clue as to where I need to look for where this may be coming from. I'll report back.

In reply to Max Monclair

Sorry it's taken me a while to report back. I tried this in a variety of themes, including the standard one, and I still get HTML tags on the question review. I looked around the Site Administration and Lesson settings to see if there might be something there causing this, but could not find anything. I made a copy of the site, upgraded it to 2.1.1, and it still is happening.

In reply to Max Monclair

Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Max: what about those remarks from my previous message "... Plus I don't see the "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor." message displayed there. And we should not see those "teacher tabs" at the top. Are you in "student  role"? And there should be a "Next page" button at the bottom, not "Continue"."

When comparing your screenshot and mine it seems we are not looking at the same thing! Try loggin in as student, make a screenshot and post it.

Joseph

I tried it as a student, and got the same thing. I forgot to mention, the button says "Continue" with every page where the student reviews their answer before continuing. I haven't seen where to set that to anything else (unlike the other pages).

Here's how this looks in Student role:

In reply to Max Monclair

OK, now I get it. You are getting those HTML tags - and the "default" message "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor." because your Lesson settings are:

• Flow control: Display default feedback: Yes
  • If your set Display default feedback: No the problem will disappear.

However, this is clearly a bug, which I will investigate and report.

There are so many (actually too many) settings in the Lesson activity that the combinations of those settings are almost infinite, making bug spotting quite difficult (and interesting).Fakakuitaha

Joseph

I had actually thought of that a few steps ago, but when I try it, not only does the problem disappear, but the entire box where the student can review his/her response disappears as well. For the sake of the instructors' intent, it is necessary that the student be able to review their response against the question.

In reply to Max Monclair

You mean if you set default feedback: No then the Allow student review setting does not work if set to Yes? That is not what I'm seeing on my test site.

I do not understand what you mean by "the entire box where the student can review his/her response disappears as well". Which "box"?

Please stick to Moodle terminology or attach screenshots.

Joseph

PS I do not understand " For the sake of the instructors' intent, it is necessary that the student be able to review their response against the question."

I just thought of something: in the test you ran on your site, did you set it up as an essay question or a short answer? Perhaps there's some difference there.

In reply to Max Monclair

Of course I set up an Essay question, not a Short answer.

I've reported this in the bug tracker as MDL-29839 for which you can vote. Since fixing the bug may take some time, if you are confident with hacking your moodle files you can use the patch I provide in the tracker (at own risk).

Joseph

Thanks for adding this to Moodle Tracker. I'll take a look at the patch and see if that helps (I have a copy of the site I am using to test other features and hacks I might want to add).

In reply to Max Monclair

That did it! It seems to be stable, so I'll implement it on my production site.

I'm still going to have to find where the message "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" is being set (I'm assuming it's wherever $result->feedback is set).

In reply to Max Monclair

Glad it worked for you!

When students submit (or review) their essay the message "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" is only displayed if Flow control: Display default feedback: is set to Yes.

Joseph

I wanted to follow up to let you know how I ended up resolving this to my client's satisfaction.

My client wanted that feedback message to appear, though not with the default text. After some digging around, I found that the text string for that message is in mod/lesson/lang/en/lesson.php. I changed it to the message my client wanted. Now it shows the feedback message, but is customized to my client's specifications.