Introduction, Opinions Needed

Introduction, Opinions Needed

by Amelia Franz -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading about and experimenting with Moodle for a couple of months now, and I'm very interested in creating a Moodle site, and eventually finding work as a course designer or Moodle administrator. My background is teaching, but I've been out of it for several years. I have an idea for a Moodle site, and I wonder if anyone here might be willing to give me your opinion on whether this sounds like a good/feasible idea, or not. 

I want to create a free online essay help and writing instruction site. Students in the "course" would simply upload their essays, along with a description of the assignment, and I would give them feedback on areas needing improvement. The site will have information on organization, writing mechanics, MLA style, common grammar errors, etc. I might also create some Hot Potatoes exercises. I would provide a similar service as a live writing tutor in a university writing lab, I suppose. 

I really am more interested in the Moodle-building itself, than the content. I simply chose the writing tutor idea because I'm a former English teacher, and I know the content well. 

I would appreciate any opinions offered. Thanks so much!

--Amelia Franz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amelia Franz

Re: Introduction, Opinions Needed

by Russell Waldron -

Amelia, there's plenty of demand for editorial advice and coaching at undergrad level here, and probably a good rationale for using every technical feature you can master in Moodle. In planning your service, you might want to consider the capabilities, limitations and flaws of EssayPunch.

In reply to Russell Waldron

by Amelia Franz -

Thanks so much for the reply, Russell, and for reminding me to give Essay Punch a closer look. I'm sure I can learn from what they're doing. i had the thought that my idea for the site would fit with the "just in time learning" trend, since I would be responding to actual essay assignments, rather than to essay-writing skills, in general. On the other hand, I could be biting off more than I can chew. Time will tell! 

Best,

Amelia

In reply to Amelia Franz

by jerry mearson -

yeah essay punch is a lot too learn though...

In reply to jerry mearson

by Amelia Franz -

Oh, yes, it will be baby steps for me, for quite some time. I'm planning to start very small and simple, and see what develops from that point. Thanks for the reply, Jerry.

In reply to Amelia Franz

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Amelia,

I think using Moodle as a platform to develop learners' writing skills is an excellent idea. I'm an EFL/ESL teacher and I've been using it lots with some impressive results.

First and foremost, I'd put pedagogy at the top of the list, find some appropriate learning and teaching approaches, develop some effective learning and teaching strategies and then find ways of implementing them in Moodle.

I really liked this book: http://www.amazon.com/Inspired-Write-Students-Book-Collection/dp/0521537118

And there are some interesting and useful books here: http://www.packtpub.com/books/moodle

And I've experimented with peer-review writing programmes with some success. There are lots of research papers on it. Moodle's peer-review assignment type is perfect for the job.

Of course, learners can't develop their writing skills without a lot of input so I reecommend finding Creative Commons and public domain sources that your learners can peruse, read and recommend to each other. They can hone their analytical and critical thinking skills by assessing and reviewing works that they find for each other. I've been pleasantly surprised by the depth and bredth of thought that learners put into presenting works and reviews to each other.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Matt Bury

by Amelia Franz -

Some very good ideas, Matt. Thanks so much. At least in the beginning, I'm thinking of this in simpler terms, since they will not be my actual students. Eventually, though, it would be nice to develop a more in-depth, interactive site where the writers are learning from each other. It's good to hear about your success. 

Best,

Amelia

In reply to Amelia Franz

by Jessy Smith -

Hi Franz,

I think your idea is good. In this way, Student can know about their general mistakes in writing essays. No confusion, great conception!

In reply to Amelia Franz

by Mark Sanders -

Hello, Amelia.  It sounds like you and I have a bit in common as far as plans to use moodle professionally, learning moodle for a few months now, and having a background in teaching (32 years of mostly high school math).  You asked for feedback so here goes:  I think your approach of offering a free service by yourself is problematic, because of the self-motivation factor.  I'm getting bogged-down in my plans, and I think it's because I am going it alone so far.

It's been a few weeks since your post.  How's it going?   Do you have a moodle site online?  I have one on Godaddy, but havn't used it for teaching/tutoring yet.

Mark