Quiz randomising different questions after submission

Quiz randomising different questions after submission

by llywelyn morgan -
Number of replies: 10

Hi

I have set a random quiz based on 40 possible questions.  Quiz shows up fine, but on submitting, the next page (with results/feedback) shows another set of random questions all marked incorrectly.

any ideas why this is?

cheers.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to llywelyn morgan

Re: Quiz randomising different questions after submission

by llywelyn morgan -

I've also noticed that grade boundary feedback is not saving.  

Attempted an ordinary quiz and it is having the same problem of not displaying all answers as incorrect (oddly the score above shows that correct answers have been made).

Is this a possible sql problem?  corrupt or missing sql database file?  If so, anybody know what this file should be called so I can search for it.

Cheers again

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which version of Moodle?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by llywelyn morgan -

Hi

Version 1.9.11+ (Build: 20110413)

mysql 5.0.7

php version 5.3.5

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK, that should be fine. Next question, what authentication method are you using?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by llywelyn morgan -

sorry. what do you mean by authentication method?

by llywelyn morgan -

if you're refrring to login, students log in as students and i log on as administrator.  i have tried in preview mode and logged on as a student.

by Tim Hunt -
In reply to Tim Hunt

by llywelyn morgan -

ah.

no authentication method.  the students accounts are created by us and self registration is disabled. no plugins are enabled, only manual accounts and no login are visible.

by Tim Hunt -

I am still baffled by this.

The general mechanism for bugs like this is that Moodle loses track of the student's currently quiz attempt for some reason (this is the bug). What then happens (in Moodle 1.9.x) is that it then immediately creates a new quiz attempt for that student, which leads to the confusing situation you see.

One cause of this we worked out in the past, is some single-sign-on systems. WIth them, if the student's session expires in the middle of the quiz, they will get redirected to the login page, which, with SSO, will be handled automatically, and they end up back at the quiz, but with their answers lost. Hence the question about authentication, but that can't be the problem here.

Have you done http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/How_to_check_your_database_for_corruption yet? That has to be worth a try, although I am clutching at straws

In reply to Tim Hunt

by llywelyn morgan -

thanks for trying tim.  i think i'll just forget about it as i'm in the process of tranferring everything from 1.9 to a clean 2.1 install.  hopefully the problem does not replicate itself there.