Call 4 Help D2L vs Moodle

Call 4 Help D2L vs Moodle

by Chad Parmentier -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everyone I am working at a community college in South Florida and they are in the beginning stages of conducting research to propose moving from the Desire2Learn LMS to Moodle. I have been a Moodler since 2004 and have converted several schools and companies to Moodle. I am including a link to a Google spread sheet that compares D2L to Moodle. It would be great if those in the Moodle community who have in-depth knowledge could speak to features they are familiar with. This will serve as a research document for other institutions considering a move from D2L to Moodle. Once this document is complete I offer this to Moodle to post for others to use. .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArG-p29p8WKOdHV2d1ZKVXNYQ1RjRjNOMFVwUmM3ZWc&hl=en_US

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chad Parmentier

Re: Call 4 Help D2L vs Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

For me, it was actually simple, Moodle allows me under the hood which helps me understand the environment and the tool.

Economically, the actual running costs are more or less similar, but I do not have to tie capital up in purchasing a piece of software that a) I will never own, b) I cannot modify to suit my need, c) I have to wait for bug fixes. I also do not have to purchase updates.

Most LMS' offer the same sort of functionality, but I can setup and run Moodle anyway I like.   

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Call 4 Help D2L vs Moodle

by Bob Puffer -

Well-stated, concise synopsis of the main benefit of open source software that maintains a vibrant community.