Workshop 2.1.1 Review - From a high school teacher..

Workshop 2.1.1 Review - From a high school teacher..

by Sam Mudle -
Number of replies: 3

Ok, the old Moodle 1.9 workshop was such a mess that I avoided it.  I loved the concept as is implemented on Turn It In.com.

So on Moodle 2.1.1 I gave it a shot with my class of 25 students.  It was a much better experience.

Issues:

1. Comparison with the Teacher Assessment Example:  I had about six criteria on my rubric.  It was annoying for students to constantly move the scrollbar up and down to compare my marks with theirs.  Would be better if they were put side by side. Workaround: None.
  2. Missing the original question.  Students wanted to go back and have the original question/problem to refer to, but this is gone once the workshop shifts into the assessment phase.  Workaround: Students can be required to copy the original question into their submission.
  3. Grading: From a students/parents perspective: What if you had five idiots giving you a low score (when in fact you were correct)?  Then since they all agreed, they would get high marks and you would get low ones.  Basically I need a way to give a final grade to all students and then these idiot peer reviewers get slammed for grading poorly.  Is this possible? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Mudle

Re: Workshop 2.1.1 Review - From a high school teacher..

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

re 1: Yes, I am aware of this. When I was writing the code for that page, I was just afraid that putting both forms side by side could cause problems on smaller monitors. The solution might be to have a button at the top of the page switching between the horizontal and vertical layout (dynamically via JavaScript + CSS only). Can you please report such a feature request into the tracker so that we do not forget it?

re 2: This is intentional. If the original question (ie workshop assignment) is important for assessment, copy it into the instructions for assessment field in the workshop setting.

re 3: There are actually several ways how the teacher's input may influence the assessment - see the workshop module doc page for details. Shortly, you can:

• Modify weights of student's assessment. Eg if you increase the weight of the student who is right in your example, his/her vote will be as strong as the sum of votes of those five idiots. Alternatively you can set their weight to zero to effectively ignore them;
  • Override the total calculated grade within the workshop so it pushes your manually set grade into the gradebook instead the one calculated;
  • Provide your own assessment, possibly with the higher weight set
  • Override the grade pushed into the gradebook

p.s. Even if they know those five are idiots, teachers should always think twice why five people agreed versus the only one was right (in the teacher's opinion). Maybe the students did not understand something, instructions were confusing etc. Such situation should always be considered as a valuable feedback for the teacher.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Sam Mudle -

Even if they know those five are idiots, teachers should always think twice why five people agreed versus the only one was right (in the teacher's opinion). Maybe the students did not understand something, instructions were confusing etc. Such situation should always be considered as a valuable feedback for the teacher.

After using the Workshop several times, I've realized that the most important factor is a well written grading rubric.   "Was the color of the person green?" is better than "Did the person look good?" 

The Workshop module is awesome for two reasons:

1. Saves teacher from hours of grading.
  2. Forces students to review concepts.
  3. Forces students who didn't do well to look at the correct answer over and over again.

The only problem now is how to set the due dates.  I have students who miss days of school, so I have to wait a long time before I can set the workshops to assessment mode.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have to wait a long time before I can set the workshops to assessment mode

Did you notice the Late submissions feature? It might help you a bit see this post and also this one

p.s. by the way, which two of those three reasons make the workshop awesome? wink