Automatic Spellchecking Available in Moodle?

Automatic Spellchecking Available in Moodle?

by Dylan West -
Number of replies: 6

I'm looking for a way to incorporate automatic spellchecking in Moodle 2.1. Does anyone know of a fairly painless way to do this? I've thought about using spellify, but it looks like I'd have to integrate the scriptaculous and prototype js frameworks for it work. Has anyone pulled this off in Moodle? Or does anyone have a better solution? For my clients, it isn't acceptable to just tell them to turn on browser spellchecking.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dylan West

Re: Automatic Spellchecking Available in Moodle?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is a spell-checker built into Moodle.

1. Reply to this message.
  2. Type something inaccurately.
  3. Click the 'ABC-tick' icon in the editor toolbar.
  4. All your misspelt words get a red wiggly underline.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dylan West -

What I mean is a spell checker that automatically checks your spelling "as you type". One that doesn't require the student to remember to click the spellcheck button.

In reply to Dylan West

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It would probably not be very hard to adapt the existing TinyMCE plugin to automatically trigger every time the user stops typing for a few seconds.

However, as you can see here, since the spellchecking goes across the network, there is a small but noticable delay. It would take some skill to to an autoatic implementation that is not just annoying. (You probably just have to cancel any in-progress spell-check if the user starts typing again.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

And you'd have to allow it so that users could set as a preference whether they want automatic spell checking or not  - I personally would find it very irritatingsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

I know many people prefer TinyMce to HTMLArea as a a text editor, but as a language teacher I prefer HTMLArea because it works with Firefox dictionaries (i.e. spell checkers).

I know there is a workaround (using 'Paste from Word") but that's not easy to explain to distance students.

How do other language teachers manage?

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Jim de St. Germain -

I would like to seccond this.

PS. notice seccond is misspelled because I didn't hit the ABC button... sigh.