Review options confusion

Review options confusion

by John D. Black -
Number of replies: 2

First, kudos to Tim and all his helpers. The improvements in the Quiz module are truly outstanding!

That said, would someone who understands the Review Options settings please update the documentation. I'm really confused and the existing documentation is obsolete for 2.1.1.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John D. Black

Re: Review options confusion

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Unfortunately, they are still working on the big sort-out of docs to cover the differences between Moodle 1.9 and 2.0, so there is not yet a http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/, and a lot of the changes happened between 2.0 and 2.1.

Plus, you may find it more informative, rather than reading docs, to try previewing a question in the question bank. You will find that in Moodle 2.1, while previewing a question, you can change all these display opitions, and see exactly what effect it has.

But to try to draft some docs:

I trust the addition of a new column "During the attempt" is not too confusing. The only thing to note is that not all of the settings are relevant during the attempt, depending on "How questions behave", which is why some of them will be disabled.

To explain the rows:

• The attempt -Whether the students can review at all. Since review is only relevant after the quiz is submitted, this is disabled during the attempt.
  • Whether correct - This controls all the coloured highlighting that tells the student whether they were correct or not, but not the acutal mark.
  • Marks - This controls whether the student can see the numerical mark.
  • Specific feedback - These are any bits of feedback that would differ depending on what reasponse the student gave.
  • General feedback - And this is feedback that is shown to the student only after the question is 'finished'.
  • Right answer - This is an automatically generated description of what the right answer is. At the OU we normally turn that off, and put our own summary of the right answer in the General feedback.
  • Overall feedback - This is the overall feedback you enter on the quiz settings form that depends on the overall grade for the quiz. This can only be shown after the whole quiz is submitted, which is why it is disabled in the during the attempt column.

Note that, what is displayed does not just depend on what options you set. For example, suppose you are using adaptive or interactive behaviour, and set set specific feedback to be visible during the attempt. Well no feedback will be displayed for a question until the student has typed in an answer and submitted it. I hope that is obvious.

You may also want to look at these bits of the developer docs: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Overview_of_the_Moodle_question_engine#A_note_about_scores and http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Question_Engine_2:Overview#What_are_the_parts_of_a_question.3F

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Review options confusion

by John D. Black -

Thanks, Tim.

At least I try reading the docs before posting!  wink

One thing that threw me was feedback on matching questions. If you don't tell it what to say, it doesn't say anything.