Moodle Version: 2.1.1+ (Build: 20110928)
(although I also tried with Moodle 2.1.1 1st August 2011 release with same result)
I'm using XAMPP version 1.7.7
The computer I'm on is Windows 7, 64 bit.
browser: Firefox and chrome, same result.
At the recommendation of one of the other posts on this same problem, I turned debug on but it didn't help me solve the problem. Here is the output:
Config table does not contain version, can not continue, sorry.
- line 429 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
- line 193 of \admin\index.php: call to print_error()
- line 826 of \lib\blocklib.php: coding_exception thrown
- line 348 of \lib\blocklib.php: call to block_manager->check_is_loaded()
- line 6 of \theme\base\layout\general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
- line 654 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
- line 612 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
- line 2026 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->header()
- line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->fatal_error()
- line 1291 of \lib\setuplib.php: call to call_user_func_array()
- line 328 of \lib\setuplib.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
- line 328 of \lib\setuplib.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->fatal_error()
- line ? of unknownfile: call to default_exception_handler()
There were also other posts for installing on MAC OS X, and they sais there were problems not having InnoDB.. I checked and I think I have it configured properly - here is what it says on my phpmyadmin > engines > InnoDB > Buffer Pool page:
|Total : 1,024 pages / 16,384 KiB|
|Pages containing data||887|
|Pages to be flushed||4|
|Read misses in %||3.21 %|
|Write waits in %||0.00 %
Thanks! I did that and now it seems to at least be able to move past that initial page.
For anyone else who sees this problem, this is what I did:
Found the value in $version
Opened 'mdl_config' in my database manager
Inserted key after last entry with name = 'version' and value = <value found in version.php>
If any developpers see this, is there some way you could ensure that when the database is populated initially by moodle that this is added? It's not hard to fix once you know what you're looking for but there isn't great documentation.
I'm getting the same error, but I don't know how to edit a .frm file. I'm on a Mac. Any suggesstions?
First, make a backup of the database.
If it's an issue of tables not being innodb, there is a script inside
/moodle/admin/cli/ that could be run from a terminal session on your Mac to correct/set all tables to innodb. The file is called 'mysql_engine.php' and according to comments in the file:
"MySQL engine conversions script.
It is recommended to stop the web server before the conversion.
Do not use MyISAM if possible, because it is not ACID compliant
and does not support transactions.
--engine=ENGINE Convert MySQL tables to different engine
-l, --list Show table information
-h, --help Print out this help
\$sudo -u www-data /usr/bin/php admin/cli/mysql_engine.php --engine=InnoDB
Mac user would probably still have to use 'sudo' in the command above but the -u [user] might be different. Look at other files in the directory for a clue. Also, one might need to use the full path to php. To find that php one has options:
php -i from the command prompt in a terminal session should show more than you'd care to know about php. ;)
'spirit of sharing', Ken
thanks a lot man, you saved me a whole lot of work!
Thank you very much Morgan McKenzie! Your solution worked on my case!
I have installed Xampp 1.8.3, moodle 2.6.1 on Windows 7 64 bit machine. All the installation went well. But when I try to start the application, I am getting the same error Config table does not contain version'.
I logged into phpMyAdmin and accessed, mdl_config under bitnami_moodle, and added new column to the table with version and valueas varchar (255). but still the same problem persist
I have attached the error screen shots for reference. Can any one help me to resolve this, please? whatever I have done to add version mdl_config, is it the right way to edit .frm file or in any other way I need to edit mdl_config.frm?
Thanks in advance.
M. N. Kishore Babu.
But after I inserted the version as you have done in the screenshot, I got "Error: Could not find a top-level course". How could I solve this problem?
Yes. I would like to know how to add the version when doing a fresh installation. There is no mdl_config table for me to edit right now.
Your installation failed (and you didn't notice). It HAS to complete right through to asking you for the admin profile and then the name of the site. I expect you didn't get that far.
There's no point trying to patch up a broken installation.
It's all in the installation instructions but...
- make very sure you meet all the requirements for your version of Moodle
- delete the database and create it again, empty
- create the config.php by copying config-dist.php to config.php
- edit config.php and put in all your parameters (it is very well commented). Find the debugging section and uncomment the debugging lines
- try again
This time watch carefully for errors.