Enabled and visible repositories not usable

Enabled and visible repositories not usable

by Eric Horn -
Number of replies: 7

I'm using Moodle 2.1.1+ (Build 20110928) at our school. Since several weeks I have a problem I couldn't figure out by myself. Even if I enable several repositories in "Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Repositories > Manage repositories" (e.g. the YouTube repository) and set them enabled and visible,

they are not shown when I want to add a ressource. The only repositories shown in the file picker are "Recent files", "Upload a file" and "Private files" (I have hidden the "Server files" repository by default).

It doesn't matter how many further repositories are set "enabled and visible", they don't come up in the file picker. The only change that is visible in the file picker is the additional "Server files"-repository when I set this repository visible. I also checked the capabilities of the different roles ("Setting > Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles > {Role Name} > Capability") - I've added the permission to use every repository that is available for all roles that are allowed to manage courses at our school.

But it doesn't change anything. There still seems to be no change to the file picker. And I couldn't find any setting that allows repositories to be turned on or of on course level - or on the level of a single user. In addition I'm using moodle with the administrator's account - so it shouldn't really matter which capabilities I allow for different roles; as an administrator I would expect to habe access to all repositories enabled for the whole system.

Does anybody have an idea why I can't make other repositories available in the file picker?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Horn

Re: Enabled and visible repositories not usable

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Certain repositories only appear under certain conditions -for instance, you will only see the youtube repository when clicking the media button in the tinymce editor (see here) or you will only see Flickr when trying to add an image with the image icon. Can you give examples of which repositories you are expecting to see and in what circumstances?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eric Horn -

Thanks very much for your answer. And sorry to everyone. It was all my fault. It works fine if I insert a Moodle Media (e.g. in a text field). I mistakenly thought I could directly insert a YouTube-stream as a ressource. I didn't notice that I have to add a text page and insert the YouTube-stream into it. So sorry once again!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nancy Gleaton -

I am having the same basic problem as Eric. I have a Repository folder created under moodle_data, and several folders under that. I have transferred files into them. I've enabled and made visable the Filesystem. But when I try to create an instance, nothing happens. It lets me enter an instance name, but there's no dropdown box to choose the folder I want.

Right now the only option I have for uploading files is to choose the Upload File option in the filepicker because none of my repository folders show up.

What am I missing?

I'm using the latest stable build of 2.2.x running under Red Hat Linux.

In reply to Nancy Gleaton

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle cannot / will not create the physical folders in moodle_data/repository directory.  The Moodle interface to repos simply links what you call a repo to a pre-existing directory with proper permissions that will allow Moodle to write and read from it.

While you might have a GUI way to create the directories, the following is a command line example (and assumes Red Hat running under apache user and apache group):

cd /path_to_/moodledata/repository

mkdir pdf_files

chown apache:apache pdf_files.

Then, in the Moodle configuration of a repo, 'pdf_files' will show in the pick list.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nancy Gleaton -

The folders already existed under usr/moodle_data/repository.

I'm not a Linux person -- what is "chown" and is this something I have to get my systems person to do for every folder?

In reply to Nancy Gleaton

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry.  'chown' is change ownership - sets user/group permissions on files and folders.  Yes, your systems person does need to check not only the ownership of the folders in moodle_data/repository, but also permissions (if the owner/group and read and write to them).

Whatever the permissions are on the folder 'repository' (ownership as well as read/write), the folders contained therein need to be the same.

'spirit of sharing', Ken