Notification Messages

Notification Messages

by Trevor Clay -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I have three messages in my notifications page and wonder if someone can please let me know if I need to take any action and if so can you tell me what to do (in newbie terms). Moodle 2.0.2 (Build: 20110221) hosted.

1. Your site configuration might not be secure. Please make sure that your dataroot directory /home/public_html/****.com.au/uploaddata) is not directly accessible via web.

2. Enabling the PHP setting display_errors is not recommended on production sites because some error messages may reveal sensitive information about your server.

3. Database tables are using MyISAM database engine, it is recommended to use ACID compliant engine with full transaction support such as InnoDB.

Thank You

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Clay

Re: Notification Messages

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Basically, the answer is yes, each one needs addressing and 'fixing'.
Before anyone could be specific enough to help, however, please disclose at least who is your hosting provider as the specifics to all three questions might be different depending upon hosting provider and the type of service (shared host, dedicated host, ssh access, with what web based panel does your provider set up customers).

The following for a dedicated host to which you have ssh access:

#1: data folder should NOT be accessible

The data folder for Moodle should NOT be in the same folder/directory as the Moodle application files (ie, web root).  Here's a test: http://yourside/uploaddata/
IF you don't get a 404 error (not found) and you see folders, the data folder is in the same directory/folder as the Moodle application files.  The uploaddata folder should be one level up from the application files:
Moodle app files reside in: /home/public_html/****.com.au/
Moodle data folder (called uploaddata) should be in /home/public_html/

From an ssh terminal shell on your server here's how to move:

cd /home/public_html/****.com.au/
mv uploaddata ../

You *must* also edit the config.php file that resides in the Moodle app folder and change the variable for dataroot to point to the new location:
$CFG->dataroot  = '/home/public_html/';

#2 PHP displaying errors

This could be set via a php.ini file (to which you have access) or an .htaccess file or it could be a setting in Moodle:

Site Administration -> Development -> Debugging

The availability of a php.ini and/or .htaccess and where either/both are located is different with hosting provider.  Hosting provider might also have an app that configures PHP.

#3 Database using MyISAM engine

Here again, you might have a control panel or phpmyadmin which would be a GUI way to change the database engine for Moodle.  The following is via ssh command line:

cd /home/public_html/****.com.au/admin/cli/ [ENTER]

php -f mysql_engine.php --engine=InnoDB [ENTER]

The above command executes a php script found in /yoursite/admin/cli/ that will convert the use of the MyISAM engine for your Moodle database to the recommended InnoDB.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Trevor Clay -
1. I did this and received a 404 so that is good. My host is Gator, access is via cpanel. Thanks for the quick and detailed reply
In reply to Trevor Clay

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

1. maybe good ... the url example would be calling for an index.html or index.php file ... what if one used a more specific or different URL to something inside your moodledata folder.  Something like:

http://yoursite/moodledata/filedir/warning.txt

Strongly suggest checking Gator FAQ's, etc. and information for customers for 2 and 3.  All providers do things their way. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello,

I am getting the # 2 error mentioned above:

2. Enabling the PHP setting display_errors is not recommended on production sites because some error messages may reveal sensitive information about your server.

but I can't find the php.ini file.

I am using cPanel on Arvixe host. Where can I find the  php.ini  or the .htaccess on cPanel? I searched for  php.ini but there were no results but when I searched for  .htaccess I found it. But I am not sure if it is the right file. I found it in the   lib  folder of my main moodle directory.

Thanks,

In reply to Dominick Inglese

by Jack Watson -

Hello All,

I'm getting the #2 notification as well. (version 2.0.2)

In the 'automated_backups.php' file, the following line appears:

if (!empty($CFG->showcrondebugging)) {
    $CFG->debug = DEBUG_DEVELOPER;
    $CFG->debugdisplay = true;

Will the error messages not be produced any more if I adjust the value to 'false'? My backups are currently scheduled for every five minutes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.