Embedding PPT (again) using PPT for mac

Embedding PPT (again) using PPT for mac

by Michael Karlsson -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I know this is a topic that has been dealt with before, and I've tried all the solutions that have been suggested, and still need help.

I run Moodle v. 1.9.8+ and I'm trying to embed PPTs made in Powerpoint for Mac 2008. Can I make it work?

I've saved my PPT as .htm, zipped the folder and I've managed to upload it into my lesson, but it only appear as blank slides, the content is lost. I've tried with the most simple of slides, so that can't be the problem.

Is it just that my Powerpoint is not compatible with my Moodle version when it comes to embedding PPTs. If so, what to do?

Thanks in advance,

M

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Karlsson

Re: Embedding PPT (again) using PPT for mac

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hi Michael,

I have an identical set up to you - I work in a Mac, use Office for Mac 2011 and our main moodle sites are 1.9.+. I have never been able to get import PPTs to work. I'm sorry I have no solution for you, but really wanted to share to stop you spending time looking for a solution - I've spent days on this myself and some while ago I gave up trying.

You say you are trying to embed them - the import PPTs to lessons is not embedding: it's converting the PPTs to lesson pages.   Embedding you can do - but this means saving as a movie and showing it in an AV filter. Is there another way you will be satisfied with showing the content or does it have to be lesson format? Unless you want to include in-page questions, why not consider this? It would save you duplicating your work into a lesson.  

If you only want lesson pages I really think it's not good news - it means recreating the slides again within the lesson. Perhaps someone else has recently found an alternative, but I don't expect so as those people that are clever enough to develop are moving on to concentrate on 2.0. Sorry.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

Re: Embedding PPT (again) using PPT for mac

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Amen!  Excellent point Scarlet.  Importing is not embedding.   

You can embed a flash file into a page,  that is basically your PPT.  Or you can embed individual screenshots of your PPT into individual lesson pages (I have a hacked localhost which automates thisprocess in 1.9 for 200 images).

But alas, converting a PPT into lesson pages can be very frustrating.  I just wish we would drop the Import PPT idea and move to importing a series of text pages (similar to GIFT files) and importing a series of image files at any point in the lesson. 

Chris