When Are Answered Saved in 2.1

When Are Answered Saved in 2.1

by Mel Ausman -
Number of replies: 5

I am having problems understanding when answers are saved in a multiple choice quiz.  In researching I found three possible answers: 1. When students finish the question; 2. When students go to the next page; 3. When students click on Submit All and Finish or Quit Without Submitting. (the documentation has Quit Without Submitting but it does not show on the Quiz.)

The reason I asked this question is that many of my students quizzes or portions of the quiz are not being saved.  I have show all questions on one page.  At the bottom of the page we get NEXT then it says Submit All and Finish on the next page. This is being very frustrating for my 6-8th grade students.  

What do I do to insure that the students answers are saved?
Can they take a portion of the quiz and come back as in 1.9?
How do I get the button back Save Without Submitting if the anwers are not saved when each answer is marked?
How do I get the Saved button on the bottom of the page rather then the next page? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mel Ausman

Re: When Are Answered Saved in 2.1

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers இன் படம் Documentation writers இன் படம் Particularly helpful Moodlers இன் படம் Peer reviewers இன் படம் Plugin developers இன் படம்

Responses are saved when the student goes to the next page.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mel Ausman -

Thus, is it better to divide the test into, for instance, 4 questions/page to insure the students work is saved?  I had all the questions on one page, which would have them finish the whole test to save the answers.  

I wish the Save Without Submitting button was back. This is very confusing for twelve year olds.
Is there a way to add this in? 

In reply to Mel Ausman

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

May I suggest you have a look at all the features of the navigation block in Moodle 2.1 ?

In the past years, like you I had all my quizes in 1.9 set to display all questions on the same page or at least many questions on the same page, but now that I use Moodle 2.1, I have changed all quizes to 1 question /page and I think it's a lot clearer and easier for my students. And I think it will be the same "for twelve years old".

Green and red numbers on the navigation block will be very interesting for them to keep track of the questions they have answered or not, and each question will be saved each time they navigate.

Give it a try ...

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Chad Outten -
Testers இன் படம்

Yes - the quiz navigation block for 2.x is excellent. also, from a page serving, performance point of view, it is a good idea to spread questions across multiple pages instead of 'stacking' all questions on a single page.