NEWMODULE for moodle 2.1.1

NEWMODULE for moodle 2.1.1

by Nick Gordons -
Number of replies: 9

Hello, I am trying to start a new module but I cannot find any template which matches 2.1.1 version.

Those that exist are for older versions of moodle and when I am trying to install them moodle says:

Plugin "local_newmodule" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Gordons

Re: NEWMODULE for moodle 2.1.1

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Well, yeah... there was a whole different architecture for Moodle v1.9 and v2... As well, as I understand it, few of the third-party plugins for v1.9 are being adapted to v2. For most of them, the original author and/or maintainer is not interested in continuing, and Moodle.org does not have the human resources to be able to assign a team to rewrite these plugins. 

If you are looking at replicating an existing plugin, then you may be able to use the existing v1.9 code. Better contact the author and get permission to do so, but if you cannot make any contact, then best to ask, perhaps you can be listed as the assigned maintainer. 

If you are looking at writing your own, you may need to be able to provide the provenance for that plugin. (That is, original proposal, original outline, early models and development pathways etc.)

In either case, you may want to start here, using the guidelines to make your module.

There is a list in the Moodle Tracker of useful modules that need to be updated. Good luck..    

In reply to Nick Gordons

by Frank Ralf -
The most recent code can be found at https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-mod_newmodule though I'm not sure it's already fully Moodle 2 compliant.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Nick Gordons -

thank you both guys.

Frank, the newmodule template you gave, looks that is compatible with moodle 2.1.  It is a good help to start with. Thank you

In reply to Nick Gordons

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

Thanks for the link, Frank. I tried it in the latest build of Moodle 2.1.1 on a localhost server, following the installation instructions, but it doesn't install and gets stuck in a loop. There are no error messages and I've got debugging set in developer mode.

It's a fresh Moodle install with all the required and recommended PHP extensions and very liberal database and server read-write permissions, on WampServer 2.1.

Any idea why?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Nick Gordons -

Hey Matt,

I have managed to install it without problems, using localhost server but under apache (I dont think it makes any different though).

I followed all the instructions by skipping the one that was saying to create our database tables.  So I have first installed it with the basic table that included on the module and then I added new tables.  You may want to try that.

Later when I created my new tables I had to modify db/upgrade.php to apply changes and I made a syntax error on php code. This got stuck in a loop and upgrade couldnt carry on.  So make sure that if you have changed anything on *.php files you dont have any syntax errors.

I am completely new on moodle so I am not expert to give you a solution.  I just give you the personal issues I faced when trying to install it.  Somebody else may give you a much better answer.

In reply to Nick Gordons

by Matt Bury -

Hi dot pro,

Thanks for the help. I checked the syntax (my IDE does this automatically) and WampServer is Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP (hence the name WAMP Server).

Still no joy.

In reply to Nick Gordons

by John Fitzpatrick -

Where can I find that NEWMODULE template for 2.0?  I see one here but its for Moodle 1.7+.  Is that still good for 2.0?

Thanks

John

In reply to John Fitzpatrick

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Try here:

https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-mod_newmodule

The one that Frank posted above, but read some of the other posts too, they explain some of the benefits and pitfalls, as well as installation.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Matt Bury -

Hi,

Can anyone give us an idea of when there'll be a fully functioning NEWMODULE template?

mixed