STAY LOGGED IN

STAY LOGGED IN

by Matt Drury -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

How do I remain logged in?  When I visit a new site even for 5 seconds it boots me off and asks me to log in again.  Very annoying.

Any clues?

Thnanks,

Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Drury

Re: STAY LOGGED IN

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Check your browser cookies and security settings.

If admin of a 1.9 Moodle (same path for a 2.x), go to:

Site Admin menu -> Server -> Session handling

There is a Timeout setting + if in multiple Moodles at same time, good idea to set the 'cookie prefix' to something descriptive for the site.  Example: http://moodle/area3/ is the location of the Moodle.  Cookie prefix is area3.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Matt Drury -

Thanks, Ken, however upon checking this, the default is already set to 2 hours.  Yet earlier I had a colleague before me who left the Moodle site for another URL, returned 5 seconds later and needed to log in.

What's all that about?

In reply to Matt Drury

by Ken Task -

Don't really know ... your browser and version is?

In the Moodle, are you keeping sessions in the DB or in the /moodledata/sessions/ directory?

In reply to Ken Task

by Matt Drury -

Hi Ken,

With IE8 and Chrome the same issue.  Moodle version is 1.9.13.  As for DB/directory, I'm afraid I don't know what that is - we don't really have an admin man anymore and I'm just the teacher who is meant to be driving it forward.  I do have admin rights tho.

Thanks,

In reply to Matt Drury

by Ken Task -

DB/Directory:

Site Admin -> Server -> Session Handling

At the very top an option to use the database for sessions as opposed to a sessions folder in moodledata.  If it's un-checked, your Moodle is using sessions folder in moodledata.  From what you've said about admin experience, would recommend leaving it un-checked.

Since it's an issue with multiple browsers, sounds like it might be a network filter if one is on the inside of a private network and the Moodle is remotely hosted (outside private network).  If you are inside the private network and this is occuring, then it could be either a browser issue or a network issue.

Have FireFox?  Can you install?  Try that one!

Also, please see the checklist provided by Chris.

Hard to assist without knowing more specific information: remotely hosted, dedicated, internally hosted, 'flavor' (Linux/Windows/Mac), etc.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Matt Drury

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Matt, here is my checklisty

• Did you/user check your browser settings? 
  • Did you try a different browser, switch from IE to Firefox (for example). 
  • Did you go onto another network and check it from there? 
  • What is your Moodle version?

In the last week, I have run across a user who had IE8  and played with the cookies settings and security to clamp things down TIGHT.   Also a network where a router was creating issues with the Moodle site and a computer on the other side of that router did not have an issue.  And it is always a best practice to look at any web site with at least 2 if not 3 different browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome).

Hope this gives you some more options.  Chris