"Mail Now" as standard

"Mail Now" as standard

by Florian Wetzel -
Number of replies: 9

Hello there,

in this first forum in every course, trainers can write posts, that will be send to all members of the course.
Is it possible to set this "mailnow"-function as standard, so you don't have to wait the 30s if you forget to check it?

Thanks a lot!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian Wetzel

Re: "Mail Now" as standard

by John Andrewartha -

If as the admin you go to admin >> site policy's you will find the global config for forums.   There is not 0 minutes the lowest is 1 minute.  That may be close enough for mail now.

Keep in mind that forum posts are dependant on the frequency of the cron job.   IE if every 5 minutes then there could be a max of 4 minutes dependant on where in the cron it was sent.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I can see your suggestion, but having used Moodle for around five years, and also using other products like Blackboard, WebCT, and Desire2Learn, I really have come to appreciate the 30 minute delay.  I very frequently post, then stare at what I just posted only to decide to make a minor change.  Also, I sometimes post, then remember that I forgot to run the spell check.

Having said this, it is nice that that the delay can be adjusted for those who don't see the need for a 30 minute delay.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Florian Wetzel -

First, thanks for your ideas!

This option, you both talk about is "maxeditingtime", isn't it? The problem about this is the following:
Most teachers of my school want their students to edit their own posts in forums without the permission to edit all posts. Because there is no such function, we decided to set the "maxeditingtime" to a value of "4 weeks", wich I added to the "security.php". Because of this, there is the need to set the "Mail Now" option as standard. Otherwise, the notification mails from the notification forum would be send after 4 weeks, too!

That's the reason for wanting this "mailnow"-option as standard. Alternatively I'm searching for a forum permission "editownpost".

Thanks!

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Florian,

Normally, students can only edit their own posts: only teachers and admins can edit all posts, i.e. the posts of students.

I think the default settings will do what your teachers want without any changes.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Florian Wetzel -

Hi,

sorry for my delay - I just had a lot to do for my examination, I'm happy to pass! smile

Normaly, students can't edit their own post, except for the maxeditingtime, e.g. in this forum I can't edit my last post from 10/03/2011.
There are some cases, where you want to let your students edit their own posts for a longer time than 30min, so we set it up to 4 weeks. The problem is, that this has an effect to every forum, e.g. for the news forum, where you want your students to be informed via @mail immediately.

That's the reason, I wanted to know if there is a possibility to set the "Mail now"-function as standard or if it would be an idea to integrate an optional "editownpost"-allowance to all forums.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Florian,

Doesn't such a long editing period give rise to issues in a response based system like a forum? If responses are made to a post over a period of several weeks and then the original poster goes back and edits the post, that could create a situation where the subsequent 'conversation' is out of context.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Florian,

Seems to me something like a Wiki would be more suited for students needing permanent editing rights.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Itamar Tzadok -

... if the wiki sends out emails, but then it's fairly similar to the proposed setting for the forum. A default forum mail-now should/could be on change (the way the tracker does it). smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Florian Wetzel -

Hey folks,

thanks for all, exspecially Itamar seems to have understood our problem. I can't still remember why we wanted the students to be able to edit their posts for a longer time, but there were some good reasons - that's what I do remember...wink
Nevertheless, it's not an option to set the maxeditingtime to a value of e.g. 4 weeks, if there is no possibility to set "mail-now" as default. There are too many problems about the news-forum, then! So, we set the maxeditingtime back to 30min and the teachers that wanted their students to be able to edit their posts for a longer time have to edit them by themselves or to advance special students as moderators...

The best solution for us would be to have an optional "editownpost-allowance" in the settings of forums that could be deactivated as default, of course!